• Register
  • Help

Topic: AO violins - noise

AO violins - noise

When I play the AO violins basic XFD (sus P -> sus F) patch at high velocities (around 100-127), exp=100, mod=0, there is a lot of \'noise\', a loud airy sounding mush; hard to describe. Any AO vets know what this is all about? Thanks.

Re: AO violins - noise

I think you\'re talking about the bow noise. It\'s a natural strings thing. You also hear it when playing back pp strings very loud.

I don\'t have AO, but I bet Maarten is right.
    The Prosonus Orchestral Collection has many samples with that same characteristic. While it may add to the \"realism\" according to some folks, I think it can be a problem if it is too evident in your mix. I\'ve heard before that applying a filter to cut high frequencies in the range of that bow noise can help (This would probably work better for celli and basses), but have never tried it myself.

Listen to real recordings of soft strings work, especially filmscores with boosted and compressed dynamics, and you\'ll hear what bow noises (and player sniffing, breathing, chairs, papers) you hear there! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The problem with AO p-f patches is they aren\'t crossfades, with the modwheel all the way up, BOTH piano AND Forte are playing. This means with a velocity of 127 you\'re going to hear a ton of extra bow noise that you shouldn\'t be if you only want forte.

What you can do is, edit the crossfade properties to actually fade out the piano sample (layer one), and fade in the Forte layer (layer two). Another option is to turn off the velocity response and attenuate teh pianio sample as well. Thus forcing a specific dynamic range.

I think the reason they didn\'t make it a true crossfade is because without attenuation the fade will sound less \"full\" expecially velocity sensitivity.

Another option would be to throw in a low pass filter on just the piano dynamic, use Mod Wheel control, and invert the \"direction\" of the control (mod wheel UP closes the filter). Add a \"minimum cutoff\" value of around 50 so it doesn\'t cut the whole thing out, just the high frecuencies.

Thanks for the info - I\'m still struggling with the notion of performed dynamics (velocity) vs. modwheel graphs + expression for controlling dynamics. Modwheel, in the case of a lot of the AO sections seems like it\'s combining dynamic control with bowing/breathing strength whereas expression just does dynamics - kind of makes velocity seem redundant. After encountering \'I got the levels wrong\' headaches, I started doing experiments to get levels under control, but it wasn\'t really working out for me.

Now I\'m basically moving away from trying to come up with a set of sequencer CC# \'standards\' and just going on ear to decide if I\'m in the right neighborhood for the sounds and blend I want - using differently recorded and programmed libraries makes CC and level \'standardization\' efforts irrelevant anyway. Less looking at the dashboard and more looking at the road ahead... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum