• Register
  • Help

Topic: Good, flexible drum sample cd or VSTi?

Share/Bookmark

Good, flexible drum sample cd or VSTi?

I am looking for a sample CD or a VSTi that has several kits for covering everything from Jazz to rock. I want to have a variety of snares, kicks, and toms to choose from. Nice velocity mapping too.

I know these posts get made a lot, but mostly I see people mentioning BFD, DKH, etc.
    I was considering BFD, but then learned about how the kit is set in stone. You can\'t add more toms, etc. So I thought about DFH Superior, but I don\'t want to buy a new hard drive to accomodate a sample cd. After I sequence stuff, I send it to a real drummer anyway to lay down actual tracks. So I don\'t need the best of the best. Just something very good and flexible.

And I don\'t care about loops or anything hip-hop like.

thanks,

-brian

------------------
    Brian Huether
    www.guitar-dreams.com

Re: Good, flexible drum sample cd or VSTi?

Groove Agent, Slicey Drummer, Backbeat, LA Drum Sessions. The list could get quite long. For quick and easy, I like Groove Agent

Check out Scarbee imperial drums for Halion...

http://www.scarbee.com

JVB

I haven\'t tested it, but this one looks cool!
    http://www.fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

If you want something done quick, Groove Agent is probably the way to go.

Battery by N.I. is pretty good. It is a VST and containd all of the kits you mentioned.

I am ordering linplug\'s rmIV for \"drum machine\" sounds, but the more I explore GigaDrums, the more I like it. I purchased it over a year ago and never really used it. It has three sets of miking with direct, overhead, and room mics. It is very realistic once you hear all of them working together. (kinda like ewqlso platinum with the mic selections). It has 5 kits, but no brushes.....

Soundsonline has it for $105 through today, but it is usually about $150.

I am going to be trying out the Studio Drums for Kontakt/Battery. They\'ve been getting pretty good reviews, and the demo\'s over at Native Instruments sound really good! Comes with brushes too.

I don\'t know how soon you need your drum sounds, but do take a look at http://www.toontrack.com/superior.shtml

It will be released on March 15th, so it is still just under a month away. But it has LOADS of stuff.

I stand corrected. I originally said that GigaDrums did not have any brushes, but I had overlooked one of the kits (kit 5). There is a jazz kit that does contain brushes. They sound really nice as well. Sorry about that. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Lik I said, I am just now starting to explore it more. You can easily reach 160 notes of polyphony with all 3 mic\'s loaded.

Go Back to forum