• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano libraries: Will a DA converter supporting 24 bits make much difference?

Share/Bookmark

Piano libraries: Will a DA converter supporting 24 bits make much difference?

The help file for Gigapiano suggests playing with the output set at 24 bits, but my digital multitrack only supports 16 bit playback. (I\'m using a Terratec EWS88 D card that doesn\'t support direct monitoring: no analogue out.)How much am I missing? How much will I miss if I buy other piano libraries?

In other words, I have a gnawing fear that I need to either get a sound card that allows direct monitoring and supports 24 bits or buy a DA converter. If so, would one of these choices be better than the other in getting the best sound out of piano libraries?

Re: Piano libraries: Will a DA converter supporting 24 bits make much difference?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    The help file for Gigapiano suggests playing with the output set at 24 bits, but my digital multitrack only supports 16 bit playback. (I\'m using a Terratec EWS88 D card that doesn\'t support direct monitoring: no analogue out.)How much am I missing? How much will I miss if I buy other piano libraries?

In other words, I have a gnawing fear that I need to either get a sound card that allows direct monitoring and supports 24 bits or buy a DA converter. If so, would one of these choices be better than the other in getting the best sound out of piano libraries?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wouldn\'t rush out and buy that card just yet Jake, I believe it has been discussed before here that Gigastudio automatically dithers everything down to 16 bits regardless of the settings you choose in GS. I read in another thread here recently that the gigasamples sound better in programs like Kontact or Unity which run on Mac, and that the reason was because they don\'t have this goofy filtering/dithering (only GS people know what!) in their programs. I think...that was in a Thread in the GOS forum about impulse samples. Either that or in a thread about Mac computers. Good luck finding it, ha ha. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Piano libraries: Will a DA converter supporting 24 bits make much difference?

\"Gigastudio automatically dithers everything down to 16 bits regardless of the settings you choose in GS.\"

This is a surprise to me, but I\'ve been totally out of touch for a few months, so I probably missed a lot of interesting threads. Does anyone know if this will be rectified in GS 3?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by RickD:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    [qb]The help file for Gigapiano suggests playing with the output set at 24 bits, but my digital multitrack only supports 16 bit playback. (I\'m using a Terratec EWS88 D card that doesn\'t support direct monitoring: no analogue out.)How much am I missing? How much will I miss if I buy other piano libraries?

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wouldn\'t rush out and buy that card just yet Jake, I believe it has been discussed before here that Gigastudio automatically dithers everything down to 16 bits regardless of the settings you choose in GS. I read in another thread here recently that the gigasamples sound better in programs like Kontact or Unity which run on Mac, and that the reason was because they don\'t have this goofy filtering/dithering (only GS people know what!) in their programs.QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I just want to quell that little rumor...it\'s a bunch of horse-hockey. You get full 24-bit bandwidth from GigaStudio if that\'s the spec you choose.

Jake, it ain\'t gonna make the GigaPiano sound any better though. Save the money, buy another library.

QB][/QUOTE]......I just want to quell that little rumor...it\'s a bunch of horse-hockey. You get full 24-bit bandwidth from GigaStudio if that\'s the spec you choose.......[/QB][/QUOTE]

I\'m sure there must be a good explanation for this but I\'m jus\' wonder\'n why the gigstudio audio capture captured the Gigapiano at 16 bits, even though I set the piano for 24 bits... is there a way to set audio capture to capture 24 bits that I somehow missed?

Thanks for the info.,
    Rick

Duh...., guess what Jake, I just checked GigaPiano in the Editor and it doesn\'t have 24 bit samples!!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Just to be clear:

Setting the audio driver output to 24 bit, or setting the capture depth to 24 bit creates a 24 bit file, regardless of the bit depth of the original sample.

In other words, even though the GigaPiano is a 16-bit sample, you are getting a 24-bit mix. Still a very good thing.

Go Back to forum