• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1014

Share/Bookmark

Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1014

This one was a hard one. All legato, expression to the limit, trills, vibrato or not or diminishing/progressive. Typing in with step-input in Overture was the easiest part. Now, it came to making it a good rendition. I must say that the VSL Solo Strings library is not the easiest one I ever used. There are also, as in other libs, some samples not fit for my ears, e.g. the total vibrato-less samples are not pleasant.

With the help of the Youtube recording of this sonata with Arthur Grumiaux, I think I did a rather good job. Of course, one can never mimic those superb violin playing and the bright sound of the harpsichord. I tried, but it became unnatural.

Still learning this VLS libr. but I wanted you to have a listen to the first Adagio Part, which is not of this world.

Bach - Sonata BWV 1014 - Adagio

The score can't be found at IMSLP, so here it is.

The next days I will work on the other parts, also interesting and a joy for the ears.

Your friend,

Raymond

Re: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1014

This is absolutely heavenly music and as I stated before, practically impossible to catch into samples. The empathy with the notes and phrases is so huge, that no technical means can ever even come near to a lively human performance. But this being said, I'm standing in the front row of admirers of your attempt to come as closely as possible, which you certainly did. I don't have any remarks about the music nor the performance, but the sound seems a bit thin, as well for the violin as for the cembalo. (Direct output from Overture?)

And a big applause for your diligent and sustained effort to learn how to handel the VSL solo strings. A magnificent job indeed!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ......., but the sound seems a bit thin, as well for the violin as for the cembalo. (Direct output from Overture?)

Max
    Yes, I cannot load SONAR at the moment, waiting for Altiverb 7.

Raymond

Please let me join Max's comments. I think he is more qualified to appreciate the work than me. However, the only thing is jumping out for me, at a few places only, where the solo violin is hesitating to push down the bow for a definite attack.
    I do hear your improving work with the great tool you have, keep at it and let us enjoy more of your work, please.

Ted

Hello Raymond!

I admire your enthusiasm in attempting to replicate live recordings of known pieces with virtual instruments. My knowledge is limited when it comes to the engineering aspects of these things, but I can at least tell good renderings from really bad ones! This one is not really bad! (In fact, I would consider it quite good! ) I enjoyed the listen, and hope your continued efforts in learning the VLS library go well!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum