• Register
  • Help

Topic: Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Contredanse

Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Contredanse

Dear friends,

Here's number 3 in the Grétry series. For those who haven't seen or heard the first dances, I present a link to the complete series of dances. So far, the Contredanse (3) is finished. Next comes the "Romance".

Enjoy the listen!

Contredanse (and Danse Légère, Gavotte Gracieuse)

Re: Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Contredanse

Hi Max,
    I am glad that I found the score for you. This is really beautiful music and realized with passion. When you've finished them all, please let's make an album of those lovely pieces. Outstanding.

A nice piece Max! Again, it sounds like some music from the renaissance period. Thanks for the share! I have to do some more work with solos myself. I am getting too used to the Vienna Appassionata Strings and making large rich themes. Thanks for the share!

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the listen. Actually it's classical music (late 18th, beginning 19th century, the Mozart-Haydn era). The used instruments are the Garritan piccolos, oboes and bassoons + VSL Chamber Strings, played the baroque way.

But this is not the final version of the Contredanse. I've posted it to learn something from the reactions. The original score isn't clear about the instrumentation (used instruments) and about the playing techniques. Luckily, I have enough experience from my past life with "De Kleine Compagnie" to know how to handle these dances, but still, I have many questions. In due course I will post another version.

Canada,winter Mexico

You must trust yourself. Your keen interest, sense and knowledge is shining true this pieces. While you are asking for help, really you should just listen to Max and his heart, you can not go wrong.
    I agree that the quality is so outstanding that it should be made into an album.
    Thanks and I listened again to all of them with growing admiration to Gretry and Max.

Thanks Ted for your very kind words.
    I know the shortcomings of the VSL-libraries (I'm still learning every day) and my own limits, but the trouble here is, that the score I have doesn't show the exact way to perform it. Too many doublings (4 times the same part in strings, woodwinds and sometimes with an extra 8a basso). That is not the way these 18the century pieces were played. I could accept it when the conditions were extreme (as for the Water Music by Händel) and a lot of volume was needed, bit still, one would expect brass instead of woodwinds then. My doubts will be over when I've seen the manuscript.
    But the advantage of digital music is that you can change a performance in minutes, once the articulations and mixing has been done. So, probably these performances won't be the last. That is what I mean.

The version now online is a filtered version (not 100% following the score), with the woodwinds some times as a separate section.

Very nicely realized, Max. It sounds so real to me that I kept expecting to hear piccolo trumpets. Alas, the Baroque player in me... I was not aware of this composer and will have to do some research on him. Thanks for bringing his music to our attention. Though he is from the Classical era, you can definitely hear the Baroque style in his writing.

Thanks again,
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Bill,

Grétry was a Belgian (although the country didn't exist at that time, it was part of the Austrian empire and soon after of the French republic). He was French speaking and inclined to the French music tradition, which was indeed not that classical. He moved to Paris and was a composition teacher at the Paris conservatory. His style is the transitional period in between the Baroque and the Classical Era. Mozart knew him and met him twice. His numerous compositions were rather famous at his time, so known by Mozart too. In his "La Rosière Républicaine", he uses various orchestral forms (always strings, sometimes woodwinds, horns, cornets, tromba, C trompettes...) But it is not always clear how the instruments are distributed in his orchestrations. I have the scores (from Raymond) in modern writing, but they don't always concur with the original handwritten scores (I have the full opera score). So there is some historical guesswork involved.

Thanks for listening.

Hello Max! Thanks for shedding some light on these lesser-known dances! The renderings are short and sweet, and very well realized. I feel I can get adequate results using Finale without much extra effort, but I know that because of my lack of knowledge it would be incredibly difficult (if not impossible) for me to get recordings of this quality.

I listened to all three just now, and thoroughly enjoyed them all! It did not require much imagination to place myself in a small dance hall around the turn of the 18th century!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum