• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Policy on talking about libraries on NS

Share/Bookmark

Policy on talking about libraries on NS

Hello,

Being new to DS Soundware and this forum I want to make sure that I do not violate any of the terms of this forum in the future. However, I am unclear on what the rules are exactly for alerting end users of new libraries. I have been told by Donnie and Sean that in the past it was always \"cool\" to post news on new libraries. But in viewing some of the topics here in the past couple days some have been closed and/or deleted and some have been allowed to remain.

So, just for clarification, what IS the policy because I am afraid that it is very ambiguous right now.

Sincerely,

Scott Johnson

Re: Policy on talking about libraries on NS

Hi Scott,

What posts are you referring to that were cancelled? I don\'t think there\'s any policy restricting anybody\'s right to inform of his new library releases. Maybe using links to your own website where you sell your library is what\'s not permitted?

Papa Chalk? Am I wrong?

Anyway, welcome to the forum.

Ruben

Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    Hi Scott,

What posts are you referring to that were cancelled? I don\'t think there\'s any policy restricting anybody\'s right to inform of his new library releases. Maybe using links to your own website where you sell your library is what\'s not permitted?

Papa Chalk? Am I wrong?

Ruben
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello Mark,

Marteen had a topic closed recently by Papa Chalk(one page over) and the guy from France with the new piano had a post deleted (so he said in his last post). I just want to make sure we go by the rules.

Scott

Originally posted by DS SOUNDWARE:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by MrArkadine:
    Hi Scott,

Papa Chalk? Am I wrong?

Ruben
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello Mark,

Marteen had a topic closed recently by Papa Chalk(one page over) and the guy from France with the new piano had a post deleted (so he said in his last post). I just want to make sure we go by the rules.

Scott
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Scott,

I see. From the new post from Olivier (\"demo, not for sale\"), I\'ll bet you that what you can\'t do is post information about where to get the library, such as a link to a web store were you sell it. It would perhaps conflict with the interests of Northern Sounds, since they sell libraries as well.

Anybody care to confirm that?

Ruben

There have been a number of posts that were deleted including my own a few days ago. They have reappeared again.
    This, from what I\'ve been told, is due to a bug on NS. See if they show up again in the next day or so. If not contact Papa Chalk.

Originally posted by DS SOUNDWARE:
    So, just for clarification, what IS the policy ...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, Scott, it\'s OK to announce libraries here and promote. Just read the banners. Also check out the link for Martin Tichy and his VSL announcement.

Overall, I think the basic guidelines are:

1. Be nice.
    2. Be respectful.
    3. Present your library intelligently.
    4. Don\'t trash people.
    5. Answer questions directly, factually and as honest as possible.
    6. Receive critiques in a good spirit.
    7. Give critiques in a good spirit.
    8. Keep commitments.

The last one is appropriate to my situation. I\'ve corresponded to Donnie several times about getting NFRs so we promote them on two web sites and in our college marketing mailers for Fall 2002. So far, nothing.

But, we\'d like to see that amended. My address is below.

I am still unclear as to the exact rules. But basically you are NOT allowed to advertise new libraries. That is, unless you want to pay for it. What the difference between advertising and announcing is - I couldn\'t tell you. I had a post deleted a few days ago and was totally unaware of any such policy. I guess they are cracking down and enforcing a policy which was always there, but ignored until now. Personally, I think the policy is absurd, but I am considering advertising on the site anyway. They seem to need the cash or something.

PatS

Originally posted by PatS:
    Rules, Policies, and Disclaimers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Pat,

Hello! I have heard some wonderful things about you from Donnie as I think you and he had spoken at NAMM this past year. Hopefully I will get to meet you myself this year!

I fully understand what the policies and disclaimers say but as Nick stated also I think there is still some confusion.

Ultimately, this is the forum moderators board and I fully respect the fact that they can do whatever with it that they choose. After all they do own the site! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

However, it was my understanding that this is/was (?) a public board and that in the past developers were allowed and even encouraged to post announcements of new products so that the end users will know that they are coming out. In many cases forums such as this one is the only outlet for some companies to make these announcements.

For example, DS Soundware just does not have the money to advertise in magazines or any other large format public media. Therefore, \"DS\" has always enjoyed the fact that they are allowed to post such announcements on forums such as NS.

So to make a long story short (which is what I should have done in the first place [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Is it \"ok\" for me to post announcements of new products and/or a few demos?

Thanks,

Scott

Looked pretty clear to me, no advertising in posts or replies unless you are a paid advertiser. Otherwise you are risking that your posts will be removed if they ever get around to it. I will say this, if you plan on marketing your samples throughout this site in signature lines, replies, posts, etc, you should do the right thing and purchase some banner ads as well. No one gets a free lunch forever it would seem. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast