• Register
  • Help

Topic: midi reality or good compositions skills

Share/Bookmark

midi reality or good compositions skills

hello friends,
    lately i\'ve just been hearing too much about how everybody\'s been trying hard to make his/her midi mockups sound close to real orchestra thing....but one thing that i see very seldom mentioned is the true worth of composition i.e you\'re just using whatever libraries you\'ve got and making some great music that can be whistled by any average music listener without any though about if it sounds any closer to real orchestra or not(no average listener can differenciate between real and midi orchestra unless he\'s a musician himself. even then, not all category of musicians can). what i think makes those classical composers of ancient times great is not because of their technical skills(though they are always great to have) but their ability to compose some very catchy melodies which once get into your head will make you bleed unto the endless realm of harmonies...is the melody dead!!!! the only thing i can remember as really great melodic texture posted over on this forum is a piece by aaron called le bouffon(well, there might be few more but this one really got me going that i can remember it till now). and i didnt even have to think if it sounds real or not because there was a melody going on that took me away into the deepest thoughts where nothing but musical expressions were driving my mind...what i want to say is that no matter how technical or real you can get with the unreal, unless you have the melody that can eat into listeners mind, you\'ll never make it....

it should not sound real, it should sound melodic...
    bye

Re: midi reality or good compositions skills

Don\'t knock unmemorable music, lots of people make a living creating it day in and day out. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

But seriously, check out the work on Francesco Marchetti. He created a short string work with the ensemble builder concept of GPO, and I was stunned both by the effect of realism and the wonderful melody and harmonic textures that built underneath it. The beautiful countermelody in the cellos as well as the triplets \"gear shift\" half way through the clip stay with me.

\'Till the End

Regarding midi reality or good compositions skills - if you\'re trying to do an orchestral mockup for just about any professional venue I believe you need both skills to compete.

I agree with you fully that the composition needs to be strong. I also believe that the technical wizardry that brings that composition out in the best light is also an integral part of the music production process in today\'s world. Audiences have gotten quite used to better all-around productions and perhaps less forgiving towards less developed technical expertise - all other things being equal. Just my 2 cents.

Best,

Frederick
    www.

Of course good composition skill don\'t hurt but I think that that skill don\'t get you anywhere near realism in midi orchestra.

The most important thing, it seems, is to compose FOR the libs in hand. That is to use what the libs can do best and skip the weak parts.

Most here which can deliver very realistic midi suffer from that \"fact\". There are endless composition possibilities, for example, for the strings but most are left untouched and instead the most simple one are used.

So in short, I don\'t think composing for the real orchestra is the same thing as to compose for realistic midi orchestra. The cap is closing every year but it has still long way to go. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Of course this is just my oppinion and maybe it\'s completely wrong!

Robin,

What venue are you listening to that you miss melody? Are you referring to the cues on NS? Or all Midi cues in general? Or maybe what you\'re hearing on the radio?

BTW-why does radio sound like a funny word all the sudden?

Originally posted by robin123:
    Bit should not sound real, it should sound melodic...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, if your composing for a game and the player is going to hear your music in loop 10.000 times in a level, you\'d better not do it catchy because the player will end up hating it. I have exactly the opposite problem, I like doing melody and not background music, so I\'m asked all the time to turn the tracks into some more backgroundish

Originally posted by Joanne Babunovic:
    Robin,

What venue are you listening to that you miss melody? Are you referring to the cues on NS? Or all Midi cues in general? Or maybe what you\'re hearing on the radio?

BTW-why does radio sound like a funny word all the sudden?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">joanne, i\'m not trying to discredit any ability of musicians over here at NS or anywhere. the music i hear here is some of the very very good music i come across and end up listining to most of the times these days. and most of the times i see people just discussing how close to real or unreal the midi pograming sounds on the demos which are posted here...what i mean is does it makes the composing skills of someone whos not that efficient with midi less efficient than someone whos great with pulling out closer to real stuff? it was just my desire to listen to something that can be rememberd and hummed for a long long time irrespective of if the orchestral mockup is real or not that i posted this all...

Do you think a person 2 blocks down the street would know or care?

Hi Robin

if i understand you correctly the answer is simple

good melodists are hard to find, as are really great composers and songwriters

and i wouldnt have it any other way

it is much easier to discuss the tangable qualities of a demo, like the sound of the samples etc but the intangable elements are beyond words, have you ever looked at a melody you love on paper and had trouble working out why it sounds so beautiful when it looks almost exactly the same as another melody that you hate

Go Back to forum