• Register
  • Help

Topic: My Music (unfinished, but I need help please!)

Share/Bookmark

My Music (unfinished, but I need help please!)

I have nearly finished a new track. I say \"nearly\" because I still need to tweak it slightly, but im know there are other problems with it, ones that I cannot see. This is why I am asking for your opinions and advice here. Before I say what *I* think is its weakness\' are please tell me what you think first. What could I do to make this track better? EQ, Reverb etc... I am still learning you see. I only have gigastudio reverb but i hope to get a Lexicon in the near future.

To download my music click HERE

(I dont know whats going on if the file doesnt download.)

Cheers!
    Ed

PS: I also made this track a while ago while testing Zimmer Guitars. I cant be botherd to do anything more to this track but I\'d still really like to know what people think of this as well!

Download here

Re: My Music (unfinished, but I need help please!)

Originally posted by Ed:
    I have nearly finished a new track. I say \"nearly\" because I still need to tweak it slightly, but im know there are other problems with it, ones that I cannot see. This is why I am asking for your opinions and advice here. Before I say what *I* think is its weakness\' are please tell me what you think first. What could I do to make this track better? EQ, Reverb etc... I am still learning you see. I only have gigastudio reverb but i hope to get a Lexicon in the near future.

To download my music click HERE

(I dont know whats going on if the file doesnt download.)

Cheers!
    Ed

PS: I also made this track a while ago while testing Zimmer Guitars. I cant be botherd to do anything more to this track but I\'d still really like to know what people think of this as well!

Download here
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Ed,

Let\'s start with your demo reel piece. First of all, I think you have a lot of talent. Really dig the Blade Runner feel of the first segment of it.
    Are you sure you\'re just using NFX reverb? If so, it sounds very good. What setting, may I ask?

Overall, I can\'t really fault your first piece. If anything, perhaps a little bit more spread in the stereo image, and maybe boost the lower end a bit. Maybe expand the dynamic range a little? I\'m listening to it with cheap cans and cheaper ears [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , so take my comments with a grain (or a few) of salt.

Contentwise, if you\'re focusing in electronic music no problem. Otherwise, you might want to include some orchestral stuff in your demo reel just for variety, that\'s never a bad idea.

I really like your composition and mixing, and I think you have something going. Congratulations!

What instruments did you use for that first demo?
    Some of it sounds a lot like Blade Runner. And some of it sounds a lot like a FS1R. Am I right?
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Your second piece starts very beautifully (That nice guitar laid against the soft pads, with that beautifully, a la \"The Deer Hunter\" theme), but it fails a little bit 3/4 into the piece (Like one of the chords of the guitar is forced against the right tempo). The piece doesn\'t develop either towards the end, which is a pity because like I say, your guitar theme against the pad, and then the voices, is very beautiful. Come on, finish it and share it!

Take care,

Ruben

Hi Ed,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Firstly thanks so much for commenting I was actually about to give up!

Let\'s start with your demo reel piece. First of all, I think you have a lot of talent. Really dig the Blade Runner feel of the first segment of it.
    Are you sure you\'re just using NFX reverb? If so, it sounds very good. What setting, may I ask?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for your kind words! Actually I was looking for a piece that could start off my showreel, and this is the best showreel starter I think I have made at the moment, but I will shift it if/when I make something better. Yep Im only using NFX reverb at the moment, from the patch \"Mystery Hall\".

Overall, I can\'t really fault your first piece. If anything, perhaps a little bit more spread in the stereo image, and maybe boost the lower end a bit. Maybe expand the dynamic range a little? I\'m listening to it with cheap cans and cheaper ears [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] , so take my comments with a grain (or a few) of salt.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I wont hide my ignorance, but I dont really know what you are talking about! lol. If you could explain what you said again for a \'complete\' newbie, that would be great ! If it makes you feel any better about your speakers, Im still using the ones that came with my computer and my headphones are falling to pieces, literally!!!

Contentwise, if you\'re focusing in electronic music no problem. Otherwise, you might want to include some orchestral stuff in your demo reel just for variety, that\'s never a bad idea.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oh yes I do want to make orchestral stuff too, but I am waiting for a little longer so I can use GOS and SAM Horns (should be able to order in about a week! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and then I can try and make some of the stuff rolling around in my head. I have AO, but I feel since im so close to getting GOS and SAM Horns I might as well wait. As far as having variety on the showreel, I even have a light rock\'ish type track planned but i want to wait a few weeks till I get Spectrasonics\' BackBeat. That should be very interesting. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I really like your composition and mixing, and I think you have something going. Congratulations!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thank you again! You have no idea how much appreciate it. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

What instruments did you use for that first demo?
    Some of it sounds a lot like Blade Runner. And some of it sounds a lot like a FS1R. Am I right?
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok I want to clear up this Vangelis/Bladerunner thing up for you. There is a patch on my Korg Trition called Future Japan, and I found to my joy that when I twiddled The \"LPF Cutoff\" Knob to the right a lovely Vangelis Bladerunner sounding synth lead was produced. I thought, \"oh wow\" and \"this is amazing\" , of course I immediately tried to play the Bladerunner theme quite excitedly.

...Anyhoo, I hadn\'t found the right place to use the instrument until I found 3 very nice chords , (you might notice that the whole piece is based entirely on the same 3 chords) and then I added a few more synthy sounding instruments from my Triton (most of which are in the played in the beginning) which I was very excited about since I was initially displeased with its sounds because when I bought it I went straight to the acoustic presets and most frankly... suck.

I have never heard of \"FS1R\" , what is that anyway? Maybe I\'m being dence here and I really do know what you are talking about.... In either case I was only inspired by Bladerunner for the first bit, and maybe the visuals of Deus Ex 2 (computer game).

Other than the few synths I used Heart of Asia (for the main percussion, my triton helped me with the rhythm [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ) I used Distorted Reality 1 for most sound effects. I used a couple of samples from G-Town at the beginning from the Prepared Piano (you might have to listen hard to hear it though. And a couple of samples from Sonic Images for 2 SFX bits in the middle. And of course the very very cool Symphony of Voices. I think thats it.

Your second piece starts very beautifully (That nice guitar laid against the soft pads, with that beautifully, a la \"The Deer Hunter\" theme), but it fails a little bit 3/4 into the piece (Like one of the chords of the guitar is forced against the right tempo). The piece doesn\'t develop either towards the end, which is a pity because like I say, your guitar theme against the pad, and then the voices, is very beautiful. Come on, finish it and share it!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Firstly thanks once again for the compliments. I noticed all the problems you heard when I made it, and Im glad there is nothing else you heard that was wrong. I should have mentioned before that this is more like a mock up of a piece that Mark Snow composed, its quite different i think but it is his theme and I would never want to take credit for that. Listen to the track I was inspired by HERE listen to the whole very short score HERE , click on \"extras\" then \"soundtrack\". Anyone know what that sweep SFX on this track is from?
    I dont care what anyone says about the synclavier, it still rocks. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I might do an \"extended\" mock up of his theme with GOS and SAM that might be cool. I learnt a lot while doing it though and I guess thats all that matters.

Ive written far too much here, sorry bout that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ed

Btw, the \"pad\" in the second piece is just a really low pitched boys choir \"ooh\" from SOV.

Hi Ed,

First of, you\'re welcome. And just because somebody doesn\'t answer you right away, don\'t give up. Most of the people in this forum work most of the time with orchestral samples, so usually electronic pieces don\'t get as much feedback.

Well, I guess NFX works probably much better for electronic music than for acoustic/orchestral. That setting that you use (Mystery Hall) works very well in your piece.

I\'ll try to make myself clear (I hope I succeed, because most of these concepts I have only learned a few months ago):

By more stereo spread, I mean to have a more distinct signal coming from each audio channel, instead of centering your instruments as if they were played in front of you. I just listened to your Showreel Demo, and I feel that the first segment is where this happens the most (The Blade Runner type one). The second segment doesn\'t sound like that. Also, it\'s a matter of taste, and to be honest, for electronic music it is probably a less important factor than in, for example, symphonic music, where you are battling to recreate a \"real world\" setting with instruments in an orchestra hall.

By boosting the low end I mean maybe Equalizing your piece (The first segment again, I think the second one is OK), so that you have more bass.

Finally, by expanding the dynamic range, I mean making the soft parts a little softer, and the loud parts a little louder. Again, a matter of taste. I am listening to your piece as I write, and perhaps that is not needed. There\'s absolutely anything blatantly wrong with your piece or mix. I\'m just giving some opinions. I really wish some more experienced and clever people could chime in, because I am probably wrong anyway...Sorry [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So you\'re getting GOS and SAM horns, eh? Congratulations! I\'m getting SAM horns too, but GOS I can\'t afford at the moment, and there\'s a lot of new stuff coming up anyway. Please, let me know how you like it when you get it!

I\'d never thought that lead was coming out of a Triton, you got lucky on that one!

The FS1R is the Yamaha FS1R Formant Synthesizer. It is a 1U rackmount module that incorporates FM (Frequency Modulation), and Formant Synthesis (To make voice like sounds in a nutshell), along with a great effects processor and nice filters.
    It is basically an ultraclean, ultrapowerful Yamaha DX-7 (If you lived in the 80s, you couldn\'t get away from that type of sound). Just watch any teen movie of the era, or listen to any pop band. HEHE. FS1R is a very powerful synth, but very difficult to program. However, there\'s a few (a couple of them excellent) computer editors for it.The FS1R has been discontinued for a couple of years, but you can still grab mint ones in eBay. Check out the users opinions on this and other synths at synthsite.com

I thought I heard Distorted Reality [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Very nice.

On the second piece, my comments were refering to the composition. I assume you weren\'t trying to get ultra realistic guitar. Mark Snow is the composer for The X-Files, or is it another Mark Snow? I\'ll listen to the actual song that you\'re linking to later, thanks!

Again, congratulations on your good work, and don\'t get dissapointed if you don\'t get answers right away. Persevere, and read through other people\'s posts. You can learn a whole lot from that!

Take Care,

Ruben

ignore this.

The NFX reverb was used becuase it was the only one I have, not because I wanted to use it. I hope re record most of what I have done already with a Lexicon (or something) when I can get one. I just need to decide which one to get! NFX reverb doesnt made gigapiano sound as \"warm\" as I would like and that is quite important to me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for describing more indepth how to tweak the piece, I will try it!

Sure Ill tell you how I find GOS [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] If you subscribe to audiogang.com (you have to pay a bit) you can get $200 off!! So Im going to get it soon before the offer disappears!

Do you know what other synths Vangelis used in bladerunner? I love that score.

Its hard not to hear Distorted Reality in the first bit its all over the place!!! Sonic Images (volume 1) has some great SFX on it, and I do recommend it as its around $79 at quparts.com which is quite a \"nice\" price [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] That sound the starts at 2:51, that sound is from Sonic Images. Dont think getting volume 2 is going to be really good though, its REALLY not, and the best sounds from that disc are on volume 1 as a \"bonus\" anyway.

Have you listened to the Mark Snow piece I gave you the link for yet? (yes it is the same Mark Snow that scored X-Files) The whole score is good just unfortunately short because the movie is short. Oh well. If you have time check out the score he did for The Dancing Cow, the pieces are much more developed in this score and its actually damn good imo :-) http://www.thedancingcow.com/soundtrack.html

Where can I hear some of your music btw?

Ed

I think Vangelis used a Yamaha CS80 quite a lot on Blade Runner. Other than that I don\'t know. Maybe some Roland stuff, JP8 and such.

Thanks Simon I\'ll check those synths out.

Ruben, where are you??!!!

Go Back to forum