• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Will Kontakt surpass Giga?

Share/Bookmark

Will Kontakt surpass Giga?

Is the goal of Kontakt to surpass Giga in terms of streaming ability?

I have never gotten Giga to work without Blue Screens, on three different machines, different OS\'s, different sound cards.

I\'m cursed with Giga, so I was wondering if Kontakt will eventually be able to stream as well as Giga, or if patents will prevent this.

Re: Will Kontakt surpass Giga?

I havent fully tested the new update for streaming but ive had really good results over the past year using large samples in KOntakt.THough i think it helps to use Stienberg sequencers with it as there are issues with DP etc.Ive hear the bugs with kontakt and sonar are resolved with this new update.And Keyswitching now imports properly.GS is monster for Disk steaming but thats about it .Its an arcaic program that works.I`m taking the bugs and workarounds in kOntakt over GS anyday cause one of these updates(1.3) there really gonna figure it out an there wil be no really clear advantage.Unless of course,GS 3 offers something that KOntakt wont have.ANd with all the Libs. now being ported to Kontakt format importing and programing wont be an issue.My guess is that it will just be playing catchup Feature-wise with Kontakt.My 2 cents CND. Rich

Mach 5 will kick everyone\'s asses. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Happy 4th!!!

As much as I love Kontakt, I\'m finding ALOT of little stupid problems that piss me off. Especially with the large amount of programming lately.

I love the time machine feature, and the ability to draw curves, but there are stupid problems throughout.

Giga may be arcaic, but it works well, and I can get in and out of it without problems, as well as make things go super quick due to its \"basic mathematical\" approach in editing. Its however also limiting because of this.

I dont think Kontakt will \"surpass\" giga. I do however think it is and will be a major sampling platform in its own right. There are things in Kontakt that I dont want to live without now.

Giga however will make some large waves when 3.0 comes out tho.

As much as I love Kontakt, I\'m finding ALOT of little stupid problems that piss me off.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Same here. Having worked in I.T. for years there are some standards for application design and the graphic user interface (GUI)

I was editing in Kontakt once and made a mistake, my first instinct was to go ctrl+z (undo) but Kontakt doesnt support this. undo, copy (ctrl+c) and paste(ctrl+v) are pretty much fundamental inclusions in a program these days, even the Apple software follows this convention with the apple key. There are some apps that dont follow this of course, but they are few and far between.

Cheers, Scott.

I agree, undo is a problem here. Multiple undos I understand being problematic, but single ones? come on.

Whatabout the ability to copy groups between instruments?

Combining instruments? Simple stuff in giga, quirky as hell in Kontakt.

that said other parts of Kontakt just rock. The ability to map any CC to any module control is nice, as well as being able to draw/invert the curve.

One other thing I\'d liek to see is the ability to route envelopes from one group to a module in another group (I\'ve got some incredible ideas for this)

As well as being able to route envelopes/controllers to other parts of envelopes/controllers (this would be amazing)

Let me draw +/- curves for ALL CCs not just Pitch or key position

Let me draw the curve for MIDI remotes, or atleast invert it.

I nice Module for MIDI routing put before the sampler module would be nice, and being able to route (as I stated above) back to this module from the other modules would be an awesome way to chase multiple events with different controls. The routing can get extreme, but leave no real work to be done for the user. It would also allow for some intelligent MIDI plug in effects, as well as leave for even more intelligent voice stealing options and the like. But that one\'s a bit extreme. Add a CC mixer to it and it would be a way to fix the bug below.

FIX the CC resetting bug dammit!! Why the hell should I have to touch CC11 to get a sound if I mapp CC11 to the amplitude envelope?!!? Just make the patch save the position of the controller!! or find a GM MIDI spec and reset CC values to those values upon opening the instrument. acck this one kills me! BAD, very BAD!

Also fix that damn note off bug.

this needs to be in 1.2.1.2 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    ...BAD, very BAD!

Also fix that damn note off bug.

this needs to be in 1.2.1.2 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ahhh, there..., I feel much better now ! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks KingIdiot, that was how I was feeling today about all the stinkin copyright licensing crap I had to go through today.

cheers,
    Rick

hmm

my bad about the note off....

It may actualyl be fixed in 1.2.1, but something else is causing a prob here.

> there are some standards for application

... or clicking \"Yes\" to exit without saving...

[quote]Originally posted by Scott Cairns:
    . undo, copy (ctrl+c) and paste(ctrl+v) are pretty much fundamental inclusions in a program these days, even the Apple software follows this convention with the apple key.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Apple had these commands long before microsoft ever even got the idea of \"windows\".
    can you imagine GigaStudio as a DOS program?!
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum