• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sonar X3 or Kontakt?

Share/Bookmark

Sonar X3 or Kontakt?

I have had and still have some issues with Sonar X1 Studio, unexplained crashes sometime driving me crazy. Reading some of the problems with X3,including Randy's horror, plus that most new and reasonably priced libraries are produced for full versions of Kontakt, what should I do? buy X3, or buy Kontakt?
    I was a Cakewalk owner from the beginning, so I would find myself guilty to abandon ship. Also, just looking at the free version of the Kontakt player, it would be a struggle to un-learn Sonar and learn Kontakt.

Ted

Re: Sonar X3 or Kontakt?

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    I have had and still have some issues with Sonar X1 Studio, unexplained crashes sometime driving me crazy. Reading some of the problems with X3,including Randy's horror, plus that most new and reasonably priced libraries are produced for full versions of Kontakt, what should I do? buy X3, or buy Kontakt?
    I was a Cakewalk owner from the beginning, so I would find myself guilty to abandon ship. Also, just looking at the free version of the Kontakt player, it would be a struggle to un-learn Sonar and learn Kontakt.

Ted
    Ted, X3 and Kontakt are two totally different things. X3 is a recording program, Kontakt is a soft synth like ARIA. You insert instances of Kontakt into Cakewalk/Sonar project files and then load instruments into it.

I'm using X3 now - My 8.5 still doesn't work, but I have to get work on, and I'm pretty happy with X3 now.

Randy

Thanks for answering my thread.
    What is the difference then between the free player and the "full version" Kontakt, which you have to pay 300+ bucks?
    Please forgive my ignorance.
    I downloaded X3a/64 for $29. Installed it, no problems, but my Aria is not recognized, the Plugin Mgr is set for the same Garritan/ VST, but when I load Aria, it comes up with Aria Multi, I can not change outputs, all tracks are for 1/2!@#$%.What did I foul up this time?!
    Oh well, I can uninstall it and consider it a cheap mistake.

Ted

...What is the difference then between the free player and the "full version" Kontakt, which you have to pay 300+ bucks?...
    ...I downloaded X3a/64 for $29. Installed it, no problems, but my Aria is not recognized, the Plugin Mgr is set for the same Garritan/ VST, but when I load Aria, it comes up with Aria Multi, I can not change outputs...
    Oh well, I can uninstall it and consider it a cheap mistake...
    --First step - You understand now that Kontakt and ARIA are in the same category, both being soft synth/sample players. Sonar and Digital Performer are in a different category - DAW recording software. Right?

The free Kontakt Player is used by some software instruments, but for the most part it's a come-on advertisement for the actual Kontakt which comes with a very large sample library. Next biggest difference is that very sophisticated programming, customization etc can be done by users using Kontakt. Next, major software libraries are designed to work only in Kontakt, not the Kontakt Player. Take a look at tons of very appealing sampled instruments which are for "full Konakt." So, you're getting a lot with the full Kontakt.

WHERE in the world did you get Sonar X3 for $29--??? !! - ??- Next, you MUST go to the Cakewalk site and get the free X3e update patch and run that. Then you'll have the actual, current version of Sonar.

You must have misspoken about ARIA. The ARIA Multi IS the one with 16 separate audio outs. Its the one simply labeled "ARIA Player VST" which has the single 1/2 stereo out intended for Notation programs.

Why did you have to run the Plugin Manager? It does that automatically when you open the program the first time. And are you saying you directed it to specifically look for the ARIA vsts? You shouldn't have to do that. All of your instrument vsts .dll files should be in ONE location - a "VST" folder in your master Sonar folder. The plugin manager should have just the one location to look in.

If both your ARIA Player MULTI VST and ARIA Player VST are in an ARIA folder in your VST folder - or at least where you had them before, then Sonar will find them and make them both available.

Your Sonar purchase isn't a "mistake." I'm rolling along on a project just now in Sonar that uses several instances of ARIA, each with all 16 audio outs - It'll work for you too.

Randy

Mistery solved, I downloaded X3 alright, but it is the wrong one, not X3 Studio, but a basic form with very limited capability, and for example, Aria can have only 2 outputs 1/2 and 3/4 Stereo.
    I am asking Cakewalk now to credit me with this download and will buy X3 Studio.
    I searched for X3 e, but could not find it, maybe will after installing X3 Studio?

Sorry to bother you with this, and thanks again.
    I hope you are relaxing and enjoying Easter. My best wishes to you.

Ted

Mistery solved, I downloaded X3 alright, but it is the wrong one...
    Oh, I see - Right, that can be confusing since it has the same name. That simplified, entry level version is what used to be called the Home Studio line, but it looks even more stripped down than those were. You definitely don't want that. I'm sure Cakewalk can fix you up with credit if you're ready to pay whatever the current price is for the actual program.

Then, once you have X3, you run the X3e update on top of it. Here's the page with the info and download link at the bottom - you have to have X3 installed first:

Sonar X3e download

Randy

Thanks, will do. I am hoping to have less problems with X3 than with X1.

gratefully

Ted

Thanks, will do. I am hoping to have less problems with X3 than with X1.

gratefully

Ted
    Well, X1 was a horror - One of the worst, most botched programs ever released. I lived through it briefly, ran for my life back to Sonar 8.5. Now, finally was convinced that Sonar had finally gotten things right, and so went for X3. My problem of the installation breaking my 8.5 is very unusual - and nobody knows how to fix that. But I'm soldiering through the learning curve and for the most part, I'm pretty happy with X3. It looks like X1, but it's light years ahead.

Randy

Randy, please reply only if interested:

While waiting for Cakewalk, and playing with the X3a, I found that GigaPlayer loaded up with this basic X3a no problem, in one instance of this the 16 Midi channels loaded up fine, and I have the 16 stereo outputs fine and working.
    If I try this with Aria, two output channels load up, the 14 remaining channels show up with a red N/A!!! and clicking on the rest nothing happens. I still feel that for some reason Sonar loads the wrong Aria. Scanning is set to C:/Garritan/VST, which contains 4 different versions of Aria. My Windows 7 is 64, so I run all programs in 64, and the downloaded X3a is also 64, so, I think I should be OK, but...

Thanks for your generous soul..

Ted

...If I try this with Aria, two output channels load up, the 14 remaining channels show up with a red N/A!!! and clicking on the rest nothing happens. I still feel that for some reason Sonar loads the wrong Aria. Scanning is set to C:/Garritan/VST, which contains 4 different versions of Aria...
    You're describing the .dll file called "ARIA Player VST_x64.dll." That one has only one stereo pair out, 1/2, and the rest are red N/A. The version you need to be loading is "ARIA Player Multi VST_x64.dll."

When you use the menu in Sonar to load an instance of ARIA, you should have those two choices available. Sonar doesn't automatically load one for you, you have to make a choice. If you don't have both of those ARIA versions listed in Sonar's insert menu, then the program is confused over what it's scanning in that folder.

You're having Sonar's Plugin Manager scan the Garritan folder in Program Files. Both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions are the VST folder there, but that isn't where you should have Sonar scan. It needs to see only the correct bit version that matches the bit version of Sonar you're using.

Please do this:

--Go to that Garritan folder in Program Files and copy the two 64 bit versions of ARIA, the Multi and the regular VST.

--Go to the Cakewalk/Sonar Program File and open its VST folder.

--Make a new sub-folder and label it ARIA. Paste the two 64 bit ARIA .dll files in there.

--Re-scan with Sonar's Plugin Manager - BUT edit the locations it scans. Don't have it scan the Garritan folder, have it ONLY scan the VST folder in Sonar's program folder.

--If you want to ever use the 32 bit version of Sonar, do the same thing with ARIA's 32 bit files, having only those in the VST folder of Cakewalk in your x86 Program Files.

--After you've re-scanned that ONE VST folder, in Sonar's insert synth menu, you should now have both the Multi and the single channel versions of ARIA available to choose from.

Those ARIA .dll files could have been copied into the two different Program File locations when you originally installed Sonar if you would have re-directed the installation at the point where it asks where VSTs should be installed.

It's easy - Do that, I'm sure you'll be fine.

Randy

Go Back to forum