• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using Rex files

Share/Bookmark

Using Rex files

I\'m debating about investing in ReCycle to create rex files of some of my drum loops (LA Drum Sessions, Performance Drums, Brush Artistry), and maybe Memphis Horns, and I\'m wondering if anyone can give me some input. Now I just use the stretch tool on Cubase SX 2..which works fine about 90% of the time. But the thought of quantizing...using midi to control tempo sure sounds appealing. I\'ve never used rex files, so I may be in dreamland here...

Any opinions/comments/advice?

Re: Using Rex files

I never loved the rex/cubase combo way back when, but my info could be out of date... Recycle used to be mono only, and unless you wanted to jump through hoops, cubase played rex files with 1 note polyphony, not like how notes could overlap if they were played from a sampler.

On the other hand, I find WaveSurgeon rocks, well worth the shareware fee (you can demo it first). It works with stereo files and exports to GS fine. You can dump the midi templates into cubase fine. Did I mention it rocks hard? I rarely loved my results from pitch shifting or time shifting beats, but many wavesurgeon\'ed beats can be sped up a lot with excellent results. Slowing things down is a bit more iffy.

About the most fun you can have with GS, IMO. Also will probably change how you think about your sampler, many uses for the studio besides just beats.

Ok, I\'m a bit rusty but here it goes. Recycle is stereo. It\'s easy, just load a loop, enter the length in bars (usually this is 2 or 4) and use the slice bar to cut the file into little segments. Save your file as a REX 2 file. Import the REX file into Cubase. Et voila.

------------
    Alex Cremers

If you\'re looking to quantize audio loops, Recycle, as well as PhatmatikPro and ZeroX BeatCreator (and probably others) will generate MIDI files that you can then quantize, rearrange, or whatever. Phatmatik is a VSTi (with plenty of filter, tuning, and LFO features that you can apply to individual slices) that automatically maps the slices to your keyboard, whereas the older BeatCreator is a standalone that exports the slices as WAVs, Soundfonts and other formats, as well as REXes, if you prefer. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Alexcremers:
    Ok, I\'m a bit rusty but here it goes. Recycle is stereo. It\'s easy, just load a loop, enter the length in bars (usually this is 2 or 4) and use the slice bar to cut the file into little segments. Save your file as a REX 2 file. Import the REX file into Cubase. Et voila.

------------
    Alex Cremers
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is how I understand as well. Right now I just drag a loop to a track and use teh stretch tool, so this would be a lot more work. Not sure if it would be worth the benefit...but it looks like a great tool.

Originally posted by XanaX:
    If you\'re looking to quantize audio loops, Recycle, as well as PhatmatikPro and ZeroX BeatCreator (and probably others) will generate MIDI files that you can then quantize, rearrange, or whatever. Phatmatik is a VSTi (with plenty of filter, tuning, and LFO features that you can apply to individual slices) that automatically maps the slices to your keyboard, whereas the older BeatCreator is a standalone that exports the slices as WAVs, Soundfonts and other formats, as well as REXes, if you prefer. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Great info, thanks!!

Hello

You can create rex type files with cubase sx,doble clik on the wav and you will be in the wav editor window...go to Audio->Hit point-> Calculate or use the shortcut bottones on the wav editor window,use the sensitivity slider for more/less slices of the sample,type in bars or beat number and than Audio-> hit points->create audio slices .

Same as Recycle.

But sometimes,usually when I search for new loops or recycle my own I prefer to use Recycle [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Also with recycle you can export rex files and midi,it not posible with cubase.

And if you alredy have Reason you can use it rexplayer to run the files and tweak like in Phatmatik,and save the money.

Cheerz

Sharon

Go Back to forum