• Register
  • Help

Topic: kontakt + giga instruments

Share/Bookmark

kontakt + giga instruments

hello friends,
    i need your feedback on this compatibility. how efficiently kontakt can convert the giga samples when it imports them...

does the library looses it\'s original charm and glory!!?

as kontakt does not stream from disk, does this effects it\'s limit to the amount of ram your computer when it comes to loading the libraries...

thanks

Re: kontakt + giga instruments

Kontakt use the memory or the pagefile.sys !!!

you can\'t use big .gig without pop and crackes or Computer crash.

You need a minimum of 3 Go of Ram !!!

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gigastudio is the best virtual Sampler.

(For quality soundlibrary)

Olivier

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Robin,

To elaborate a bit on Olivier\'s comment, the difference is indeed that Kontakt is a RAM-based sampler. It will use your Windows swapfile to stream, but that is certainly no comparison to GigaStudio\'s streaming-intensive concept.

It is also lacking many of GigaStudio\'s \"dimensions\" so you will indeed find it difficult to translate many of the very large or very complex instruments.

Where Kontakt shines is in loading smaller instruments, and in some creative and unusual design and FX/routing options.

What I think Olivier means to say is that Kontakt isn\'t a GigaStudio substitute for large, complex, acoustic instrument modeling libraries. However, there is no particular \"quality\" assessment in that...in fact, several high quality Giga libraries such as the Dan Dean Basses, Solo instruments, etc., will load and operate just fine in Kontakt, as they do in other apps. This may, for instance, be useful to you in leveraging otherwise wasted CPU and RAM resources on a sequencing machine. Another great example would be using it to load rhythm section instruments like VR_Sound giga module or Franky\'s Vintaudio guitars. These don\'t have releases, so they translate extremely well. And Kontakt has saturation, distortion, and other built in amenities that really warm up the guitars, for instance, and give you a different palette of colors than the same library delivers in GigaStudio.

Also, even with some of the advanced orchestral libraries, you can get good use from it. For instance, pizz strings generally don\'t use releases, since the \"release\" is an integral part of the articulation\'s behavior. This is another case where you can save a few channels on your Giga machine, dedicating them to the instruments that DO need the advanced features, while making use of that spare horsepower on a machine that may just be running a sequencer with no particularly high CPU or RAM demand.

Ultimately, it\'s just another tool in the toolbox, which you can use to great effect if it meets needs you have. The conversion itself is fairly transparent. You load Giga instruments in exactly the same way you load Kontakt instruments.

Hi all,

While writing this response to Robin, I was loading up some various instruments in Kontakt, and while just doodling around doing silly things, I loaded a SI legato downbows instrument and applied the Vowel Morph filter.

Instantly, I got a gorgeous other-worldly instrument where I could map a controller to the vowel morph and get a highly playable and desirable tool. I am grinning ear to ear just messing around with it.

I think another great analogy is to consider different samplers as different golf clubs in a bag. Sometimes you need a big hunk of wood. Sometimes you need to slice a ball out of a trap. Sometimes you need a putter.

Wouldn\'t golf be a crummy sport if there were only one type of club? There is immense value in approaching these sampled instruments in ways they were not \"designed\" to be used.

Another VERY important musical reason that the best policy for MUSICIANS is to keep sampleware platform-adaptable, and to avoid any sort of practice which would prevent creative use of the material.

This is DEFINITELY one that I\'ll be saving and using often!!

Hi,

thanks Bruce !!!

I\'m french and it\'s difficult for me to write a long article about samplers in the english language !!!

Thanks for your explanation and your lights, and i\'m sorry for my poor english !!!

Regards,

Olivier

hello bruce, thanks for that insight into the kontakt...

ok, now another thing that i would like to know is will i be able to load all the desired instruments(brass, strings, woodwind) together into giga(128 mb ram + 600mhz pentium III) and sequence them without pops and clicks or do i need bigger processor and increase the ram....

thanks

Those interested in getting Kontakt should take a look at the NI website. There\'s currently an offer to owners of other soft samplers (like GSt) to buy Kontakt for $229. There\'s no obligation to stop using your existing software.

Originally posted by robin123:
    hello bruce, thanks for that insight into the kontakt...

ok, now another thing that i would like to know is will i be able to load all the desired instruments(brass, strings, woodwind) together into giga(128 mb ram + 600mhz pentium III) and sequence them without pops and clicks or do i need bigger processor and increase the ram....

thanks
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You would do better with more RAM. For full ensembles of the classes you describe, 394-512 mb would be a good minimum range. I have no trouble filling 1 GB, and could easily load up more. A 600 mhz PIII will get probabaly a dependable 80-100 voices of polyphony. This IS GigaStudio I\'m talking about by the way...with Kontakt or other RAM-based or RAM-centric designs, you get far less RAM efficiency because the ENTIRE instrument is loaded into RAM rather than just a little.

So basically, more RAM equals more loadable instruments. Faster Processor equals more DSP and to a degree, better polyphony performance. Faster disk througput equals higher polyphony performance. Faster disk SEEK also equals better polyphony performance.

Go Back to forum