• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Guitar Duo Number Eighteen"

Share/Bookmark

"Guitar Duo Number Eighteen"

Fellow Music Folks,

This is my work for two guitars and small (Garritan) orchestra.

This is "Guitar Duo Number Eighteen" . A lot of counterpoint and a few bars of
    semi-fugal things.

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/GuitarDuo18.mp3

Good day to all and a happy Easter too.

Larry

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Guitar Duo Number Eighteen"

Good evening Larry!

I enjoyed listening to this. I believe it's been a while since I heard anything from you involving an orchestra (even if it is small )

I feel there are a lot of similarities to the harpsichord in the guitar work. I know part of that may just come from the nature of the fugue, and perhaps that's where the association is coming from for me. Either way, I love when instruments take on the role of other instruments, no matter the context, and this is no exception!

This was a nice quick listen just before bedtime for me, so thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Hi Larry,

Another little marvel of the Larry fantasy. But I do agree with Sanyarem, this is not specific guitar music. Not necessarily for the beloved harpsichord (could be a harp as well), but that isn't really the main thing. Some damped strings sound a bit unnatural for a guitar, but it is stil a fine, enjoyable light composition!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Good evening Larry!

I enjoyed listening to this. I believe it's been a while since I heard anything from you involving an orchestra (even if it is small )

I feel there are a lot of similarities to the harpsichord in the guitar work. I know part of that may just come from the nature of the fugue, and perhaps that's where the association is coming from for me. Either way, I love when instruments take on the role of other instruments, no matter the context, and this is no exception!

This was a nice quick listen just before bedtime for me, so thanks for sharing!
    The guitars don't sound as well as I would like them to sound because the sample library from whence they came is not a first-class one.

Real harpsichords and guitars actually bear little resemblance to each other as far as sound is concerned. They both produce sound by having their strings "plucked" and that's the extent of it. That statement comes as a result of a lifetime of listening to and composing for both instruments.

Thanks for listening and commenting.

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Hi Larry,

Another little marvel of the Larry fantasy. But I do agree with Sanyarem, this is not specific guitar music. Not necessarily for the beloved harpsichord (could be a harp as well), but that isn't really the main thing. Some damped strings sound a bit unnatural for a guitar, but it is stil a fine, enjoyable light composition!

Max
    See my answer to Michael above.

Playing damped guitar strings is a common performance practice.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Of course you're right about the playing technique. I only meant the sound by the Garritan guitar. It seems a bit unnatural. This is not your fault.

Max

Go Back to forum