• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Festival...VSL Demo

Re: Festival...VSL Demo

I think this is a great demo. The sax sounds absolutely fantastic to my ears and I think its by far the best sampled sax out there.
    Great strings and nice chord changes. The mix is right on too [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Nice job Craig!

Hey Craig,

Easy to see why you are a working composer - you cover so many styles and genres. Reminds me of a weekend Jazz gig I had in Newport Beach when I lived there (too bad our sax player wasn\'t this good - it took him up to three years to finish some slurs!!!) The guitarist (my bro) and I had fun though stepping all over his solos. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Sounds great Craig, keep em\' coming.

Your guitar playing is so convincing...

Alan Russell

Central Point, Oregon

Craig, you are a brave soul for tackling something like this---but you made it work! The sax is the most convincing I\'ve heard and you used it well, but I don\'t believe any sampled sax will ever really be able to stand up to close scrutiny in this type of exposed setting. The guitar is particularly good (no surprise there), and I love both the sound of and your playing of the Scarbee bass.

The strings sound really nice, but their relative \"bigness\" reminded me of the recent talk regarding size versus intimacy. I have GOS and Opus 1 on the way, both of which have been mentioned as too broad for some pop settings. Which library is generally touted for more studio-oriented work? SISS?

Sounds really cool, nice job!

Issac: \"The band\'s really smooth tonight!\"
    Captain Stuebing: \"Pass the Cole Slaw.\"

... Set a course for adventure, your mind on a new romance.

Ah, great stuff as always, Craig!
    Sounds really cool - I do find some slurs a bit slow or overexposed, but it\'s a great combo!

I think it sounds VERY good, but this type of music is awfully hard to pull off with samples. No matter how hard you try, there will always be that slight muzaky feel that you don\'t usually get with live players.

Still, very close.

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    [QB] well it would be muzaky anyway....it\'s that kind of piece.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I didn\'t mean to criticize the work, I think you\'ve done a great job. It\'s just that the state of the samples, while close, just isn\'t there yet.

I have a friend who has a jazz quartet and they kick *** , so it\'s difficult for me not to make the comparison.

All said, I still like this piece a lot.

Oh glorious time we live in!
    With pieces like this, live music will most definetly make a huge comeback!!

I just love the trend here that people are showing how awful samples really are, and how people who think they know how to arrange for bands come up with music that won\'t even make it into a Las Vegas elevator.

Congatulations to all the sax players, drummers, violinists, guitarists ... your jobs will be there for a while!

I would propose to search for the music in the samples and not try to make the samples do what they can not do. And keep the mouse away from the quantize button!!!

Go Back to forum