• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: White Grand, PMI 290, or....???

Share/Bookmark

White Grand, PMI 290, or....???

So I DL\'d the White Grand demo and checked it out (in Halion)---quite impressive!
    Is anyone using both the White Grand and the PMI 290 and could offer up some informed comparisons? I have to admit that I\'m partial to darker piano sounds, so I\'m also considering seeing how the Galaxy Steinway measures up...as well as that other one that hasn\'t been released yet...with the 3 pianos...name escapes me...
    Anyone? Thanks!

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: White Grand, PMI 290, or....???

What kind of music, generally speaking?

Primarily, let\'s call it jazzy downtempo ambient electronica.

Up \'til now, my favorite has been the 32 meg soft Steinway D from Ultimate Piano. (I admit it---I\'ve been putting this purchase off for way too long) [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] . I\'d love to have that sound, but with more velocity layers, of course. Just fooling around with those 2 octaves of the White Grand demo really made me realize how much realism I\'d been missing. Really! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by XanaX:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now there\'s a 21st century description if I\'ve ever seen one! I have the PMI Bosendorfer, and it\'s a beautiful piano---but beware that even the \"dry\" version is quite wet. This might work for the \"ambient\" part of your style, but not if you need any close-miked, intimate stuff.

I\'m extremely impressed with the White Grand demo, but it may be too bright for your needs---although the plethora of velocity levels may make it workable if you\'re a lighter player. Check out the Vintaudio Yamaha C7, which I don\'t believe is quite as bright as the White Grand. I believe Worra is working on a darker piano as well.

Originally posted by XanaX:

Up \'til now, my favorite has been the 32 meg soft Steinway D from Ultimate Piano. (I admit it---! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">hear the demo of :

http://www.milandigitalaudio.com/steinwaydemos.htm

Regards,

Olivier

Thanks for the tips so far.

Keep \'em coming! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi XanaX.

Yes, the White Grand is a bright, close miked piano. It has, as said, many velocities, so you can get a fairly mellow performance out of it if you play it softly.
    If it\'s really mellow your after, you should also check out the piano from Art Vista. Hans is working on a new one, and they ARE calling him \"Mr. Mellow\"!

We are also making a new, more classical oriented piano, \"The Black Grand\". But that\'s 4-5 months away since it\'s still in production.
    The Black Grand will be made with the same technique as the White Grand, so it will have 16/16 true velocity splits.

Originally posted by Worra:
    Hi XanaX.

Yes, the White Grand is a bright, close miked piano. It has, as said, many velocities, so you can get a fairly mellow performance out of it if you play it softly.
    If it\'s really mellow your after, you should also check out the piano from Art Vista. Hans is working on a new one, and they ARE calling him \"Mr. Mellow\"!

We are also making a new, more classical oriented piano, \"The Black Grand\". But that\'s 4-5 months away since it\'s still in production.
    The Black Grand will be made with the same technique as the White Grand, so it will have 16/16 true velocity splits.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks, Worra...

You\'ve given me even MORE to consider. It sounds like the Black Grand might be the way to go...

Decisions, decisions! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

[quote]Originally posted by XanaX:
    Originally posted by Worra:
    [qb]

You\'ve given me even MORE to consider. It sounds like the Black Grand might be the way to go...

Decisions, decisions! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">To make things even \"worse\", there will be a special priced Black Grand/White Grand bundle, and all White Grand customers will be able to buy the Black Grand at a reduced price matching that bundle offer...... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Worra has intuitively maximized the quality & realism that can currently be obtained with today\'s sampling formats. He is, in fact, pushing the envelopes! 32 layers... unheard of a year ago! The White Grand is stunning, simply put. You however, might be best off waiting patiently for his Black Grand that is in developement as we speak, for tonal reasons only. The PMI Bos is another wonderful library that is a great addition to any pianist\'s arsenal (yes, i have it too!). They are entirely different & your personal taste is the the only issue at hand.

Go Back to forum