• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kirk Hunter Solo String on EXS24?

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter Solo String on EXS24?

Is anyone out there using the Kirk Hunter Solo Strings on EXS24? I would like to know how this library might translate to EXS24. Do any critical features get lost in translation? Am on Logic Audio 5.5 / Mac.

Re: Kirk Hunter Solo String on EXS24?

Quote Originally Posted by TC5
    Is anyone out there using the Kirk Hunter Solo Strings on EXS24? I would like to know how this library might translate to EXS24. Do any critical features get lost in translation? Am on Logic Audio 5.5 / Mac.
    Sorry for bringing out an old topic,
    I wonder about this too ..
    I tried to convert but no luck, lots of inf get lost in translation such as Layers and Mod wheel .
    The same with CD extract !
    Any other solution ? or any tip/tricks ?
    Thanks
    Sonny

Gee, I'm quite happy with KHSS on the EXS.

Granted, yes, the mod wheel layer switches get lost, but not only is that fairly easy to reprogram, but the key switched programs which do translate perfectly do the exact same thing.

Personally, I prefer switching articulations via key-switch commands, and assigning my mod wheel to do other stuff, like volume control.

I just did it yesterday with the EXS translation and worked pretty well. The keyswitches work fine. The mod wheel programs don't - if someone can post how to modify those to make them work, it would be great. I'm not that great at the EXS editor and can't quite figure it out. But overall, they work as expected on EXS and I think the sound is really really good - best $149 I've spent in a long time.....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by donimon
    I just did it yesterday with the EXS translation and worked pretty well. The keyswitches work fine. The mod wheel programs don't - if someone can post how to modify those to make them work, it would be great. I'm not that great at the EXS editor and can't quite figure it out. But overall, they work as expected on EXS and I think the sound is really really good - best $149 I've spent in a long time.....

Jeff
    It's really quite easy. If you did the giga to EXS translation through the EXS itself, the different articulations are already set up on their own groups. All you need to do is open the EXS editor, and select one of the 4 groups that is already there.

Click on the little triangle that makes all the parameters of the group visible, and under the "Trigger by" parameter, you will see a "Select by" parameter. Simply select "Control" , and next to it select "1" (CC mod wheel). Then assign a range that that group will be triggered by the wheel. Do this to the other groups as well.

Since there are usually 4 different articulations in Kirk's patches, divide 127 (the MIDI spec) by 4, to get approximate values to assign. So, for instance, group 1 could be a value of, say, 0-30, group 2 could be 31-60, group 3 61-90, and group 4 91-127. Now as you move the mod wheel up, the articulations will switch.

2 things to be aware of...

1) The giga to EXS translation may put a pitch control on the second parameter in the EXS's mod matrix. This will cause a "less than pleasant" LFO vibrato as you move the mod wheel up. Simply click and hold the "Pitch" parameter in the mod matrix, and select "---" to disable it.

2) On the outside chance that you open the group parameters and do not see a "Select by" parameter, go to the view menu (above the keyboard in the EXS editor), and make sure all the parameters for the groups are enabled, so that they are visible.

This is a very easy fix for the mod wheel patches, although this post got a bit lengthy! Not knowing your editing abilities on the EXS, I wanted it to be (semi) coherent...:-)

Hope this helps...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    It's really quite easy. If you did the giga to EXS translation through the EXS itself, the different articulations are already set up on their own groups...<snip>

Hope this helps...

Certainly did for me. I just converted them yesterday myself and came here with the exact same questions. Thanks for the info.

Thanks, you rule. That was exactly the step by step directions I needed ... easier than I thought.

Thanks again - Jeff

Go Back to forum