• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Challenge #30

Share/Bookmark

Challenge #30

Okay, here we go!

Challenge #30 involves taken a simple melody given below and developing it into a short piece of music. The length of the piece should be between 1 and 3 minutes. The time depends on the ideas you come up with and how much time you need to express them.

I would like to set the deadline of Monday, May 12 at midnight EST (New York time zone)for entry.
    (This is edited by RichR to include FrankD's suggestion for setting ending dates and times.)

The notes in the theme must be stated at least once, though the rhythm and meter need not be the same as given. (For those of you who care to analyze it, the first 9 notes of the theme are a name of a person. Then alphabet was put into a 7x4 matrix and the theme was produced.)

Englishgent has agreed to putting the voting together as he did in the last Challenge. All mp3 versions of your entry should be sent to: owen@jinglecues.com by Friday, May 9.

Motif

The pdf file has a problem. I think it is either a bug in Finale 2014, Box.net, or ME
    . There are funny signs in the place of the Clef sign, Meter Signature, and Time Signature. They should be as follows:

Clef is Treble
    Key Signature is 1 sharp (Key of G) ​Though it could be E minor (if you like)
    Time Signature is 4/4

Midi Version

Since I devised this challenge, I will bow out and listen to all the new challenges when they are posted. Good Luck!

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Challenge #30

Just a bump to keep this on top!

Rich

Excellent! Thanks, RichR for getting the show on the road!

Just an idea for the score: When you print to PDF, choose the option "Include font in PDF" - should solve the weird formatting problem.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Thanks for the tip Englishgent. I will check it out but I don't remember that option (obviously have not seen it or I would have done that).

Rich

Success!!

I took Owen's suggestion and after reading his post a couple of times realized that I should printed the music for the challenge to PDF instead of exporting it to PDF. There is a difference! Now the file should have the correct key and time signatures as well as the clef being correct and the dotted symbols for dotted rhythms.

Thank you Owen!!!!

Rich

Now that Challenge 30 is officially underway, it's a good time to remind people that we don't want to know who has entered a piece until the contest is over. We want to listen to the pieces, and then choose favorites based only on what we hear. Then when the voting is complete, a fun second phase of the event is for people to step forward and tell us which entry they wrote. On top of that, it's always an appreciated bonus when entrants also talk a bit about how they went about doing the work.

In other words - If you're entering a piece, please don't announce it on this thread. We don't want to know Anything about the MP3s until the Challenge is over.

Hope lots of folks get involved!

Randy

Hi Rich and Forum ...

Really nice job on this challenge 30! Should be a ton of fun and thanks for putting this together.

I do have a comment and a suggestion for future challenge deadlines ...

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Okay, here we go!

Challenge #30 ...

I would like to set the deadline of Friday, May 9 at midnight DST (New York time zone)for entry.

All mp3 versions of your entry should be sent to: owen@jinglecues.com by Friday, May 9.
    Although your Friday deadline doesn't affect me at all, it seems that forum members who still work a 9-to-5 may have appreciated having the full weekend (May 9-10-11) to work on their project.

I simply propose that challenges aren't literally restricted to 14 or 21 (or whatever) days, and to simply have Monday, midnight, EDST always be the deadline.

In the case of this challenge, I didn't see it until last night ... as I mentioned, not an issue for me, but not everyone will see the challenge as soon as it's posted.

Merely suggestions and once again: GREAT job on this one, Rich!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Frank, I agree. Since I don't work a 9 to 5 that never crossed my mind. I see no reason why this challenge can't have Monday, May 12, midnight EST as the deadline.

If there is no objection to the date change then consider it done. Thanks Frank and thanks for the kind words.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    I see no reason why this challenge can't have Monday, May 12, midnight EST as the deadline.

If there is no objection to the date change then consider it done.
    Nice job, Rich!

Like yourself, seven-day project weeks are now generally available to me, but I remembered when my music-making sessions were limited to just Saturdays and Sundays!

Hope we get a good turnnout again!

Frank
    Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

Two entries submitted so far! We got ourselves a competition.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Go Back to forum