• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: And now for something completely different!

Share/Bookmark

And now for something completely different!

Well, it\'s not an epic orchestral score anyway. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Those of you familiar with Jesse Cook will recognize the influence in this piece. Just a short ditty using Yellow Tools Pure Guitars, Larry Seyers Bass, and Tob\'s G-Town Percussion.

All guitars are YT, except the guitar way to the left is me with an Epiphone and a rented Apex condenser. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Right now both guitars are playing the same thing. It will be swapped out as soon as I get a chance to record the new part.

The Last Gunslinger

As always, comments and criticisms are appreciated.

Re: And now for something completely different!

Hi Ben,

I love it...
    only a bit less reverb on it?
    I like the idea of washing these kind of musical things in reverb (reminds me of Tarantino\'s Kill Bill) but it sounds a bit too much to me!

Simone Coen

I like it, too, makes me think of a Leonard Cohen song. I think the solo guitare and basse have too much reverb. The entering of the percussions is a bit surprising, maybe he could be prepared in a way or another. Also there is a lot reverb on the persussion, which is because it\'s played in a church I suppose [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .
    Anyway nice music to relax!

Very nice indeed...but I agree about the reverb I\'m afraid.

Frank

The reverb is OK on the guitar. When you have solo guitar like this you can use a litle more reverb than the normal without any problem. I think it sounded a bit muddy when the G-Town perc. began to play - Did you add reverb on it??? If so , maybe it´s the problem. All the rest sounds very good!!!

Originally posted by leogardini:
    The reverb is OK on the guitar. When you have solo guitar like this you can use a litle more reverb than the normal without any problem. I think it sounded a bit muddy when the G-Town perc. began to play - Did you add reverb on it??? If so , maybe it´s the problem. All the rest sounds very good!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah!

I agree on the fact that a bit \'too much\' reverb can be good on such songs and guitars!

But: reverb wash is too much on percs and bass and... I\'d try a different and less \'coloured\' reverb tail... since the middle frequencies in the tail tend to make it sound muddy... even on little multimedia speakers I tried on the PC... this is what my ears say... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Best,

Simone Coen

I added alot to the solo guitar but didn\'t add any to the percussion. They were sampled from far away. I\'ll see what I can do with it and post a second version in a couple hours. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ben, I love it -- but agree about too much reverb. The guitar sample sounds much like one of the ones that comes with Kompakt. Does Yellow Tools supply those? Can\'t remember.

You should hook up with Robert Rodriguez for the next El Mariachi movie. It sounds great.

Ben,

One more vote for less verb (mostly when the arrangement gets dense). Very good feel - you capture the gunslinger vibe perfectly. This could really be expanded and developed.

Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Thanks for the comments everyone. The samples were recorded with the verb included so I\'ve tried to \"lessen the verb\" through sound design. (Although I left the verb on the solo guitar cause I like it like that [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

It was an interesting exercise becuase I wasn\'t really sure how to go about \"removing\" verb. Anyway, I\'ve posted another clip. Hopefully with less verb on the percussion and bass.

Also I added a tom from Sams free Percussion. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

The Last Gunslinger (w less verb)

Go Back to forum