• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gladiator Midi Mockup

Share/Bookmark

Gladiator Midi Mockup

Been practicing a bit more, this time I set my teeth into the intro from Zimmer\'s \"The Battle\" from his Gladiator score.

I know it\'s not perfect, but hey I\'m still learning. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Couldn\'t approximate Zimmer\'s percussion in this piece, the score I have is not entirely consistent with the \"real\" thing (I take it the Gladiator score itself IS a mockup, right?) so I had to ipmprovise a bit there (used the recently posted free toms). Anyway, here\'s the link:

http://members.chello.nl/j.vangemert/gladiator.mp3

Constructive suggestions are appreciated. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Gladiator Midi Mockup

Dude! Good job man. What strings are you using??? They sound very good to me.
    French horns could use a bit more bite and sound a little muddy, but other then that really nice work! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Also aren\'t there celli or bass marcatos playing the same type of rhythm as the percussion? I think if you added that it would be really cool.

The real piece is not a mockup but the one from the \'More music from Gladiator\' CD is. What reverb are you using?

Hasen:

I\'m using the Timeworks 4080L vst reverb plugin.

Damon:

You\'re right, the french horns were playing too soft. I\'ve made them a bit tougher. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I also made the choir accurate (before it was just playing a copy of the french horn track) and added a spanish guitar which Zimmer uses in the track also. Have a listen to the updated mp3!

As for the celli/bass suggestion, will give that a try and see how it sounds.

Strings are Kirk Hunter. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Mr.Sovereign

I love the mockup. Great job.
    I like the Choir and the trumpet most .
    What are you using ?

Veron

Great job Sovereign and Hasen!

I am having difficulty getting my battle cue to some like an attack. I\'m using Roland\'s orchestral card. After reading and listening to you guys I\'m starting to think maybe it\'s not just me being unable to write a good string part, but maybe I don\'t have the right string sounds. I do have marcato though. Those string samples make a big difference or do you still have to do a lot of peice meal to get the string effect?
    BTW- Did you use a notation program for your mock-up? I can\'t imagine another way for me to do a run since I don\'t have any samples of one. I haven\'t tried the notation route yet, but I can see I have reached my limitations with the keyboard. LOL Are you guys doing the string parts with a keyboard?

Say what you will about Hans, but he\'s got a knack for catchy little melodies!

Originally posted by birdwizard:
    Great job Sovereign and Hasen!

I am having difficulty getting my battle cue to some like an attack. I\'m using Roland\'s orchestral card. After reading and listening to you guys I\'m starting to think maybe it\'s not just me being unable to write a good string part, but maybe I don\'t have the right string sounds. I do have marcato though. Those string samples make a big difference or do you still have to do a lot of peice meal to get the string effect?
    BTW- Did you use a notation program for your mock-up? I can\'t imagine another way for me to do a run since I don\'t have any samples of one. I haven\'t tried the notation route yet, but I can see I have reached my limitations with the keyboard. LOL Are you guys doing the string parts with a keyboard?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I really don\'t think there are any string runs in this Gladiator mockup so you must be talking to me. I didn\'t use a notation program for my Harry Potter mockup and I didn\'t use string run samples. You have to use staccatos. I don\'t know what is on the Roland library as I don\'t have it. I used AO.

And yes its a lot of work to get the runs sounding right. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Veron:
    Mr.Sovereign

I love the mockup. Great job.
    I like the Choir and the trumpet most .
    What are you using ?
    Veron
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Choir is Siedlaczek Advanced Classical Choir, trumpet is Dan Dean solo brass.

Go Back to forum