• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Which libraries feature 'ambient hall' approach to recording?

Which libraries feature \'ambient hall\' approach to recording?

I\'m liking close-miked, dry orchestral libraries less and less--can we come up with a master list of sample libraries that were recorded with ambience?

We could break it up into sections (woodwinds, brass, perc, strings, etc.)

...or has this already been done here? It would be great to find a web page devoted to this. Maybe I\'ll work on a page like this when I get some free time.

Re: Which libraries feature \'ambient hall\' approach to recording?

Depends on what you consider \"ambient hall\"

even AO has some all in it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] heheehee

anyway. Miroslav and Roland are the older libraries with more ambient hall in the samples.

Newer libs are GOS (but not as much as some peopel would like)

SI Strings, a ton more abmience and a great sound because it mixes some close mics in.

Dan Dean Ensemble Brass. It has both closer mic\'d samples (which still have some ambience) and Ambient samples

SAM Horns when it comes out. Possibly the one with the most Ambience in the samples, hehee. But they sound great!

LOP, but its still not enough Hall IMO. Its till good tho.

Of course theirs Nick\'s upcoming lib which will be the \"ultimate\" in terms of ambience control. If anyone\'s ever used Real Giga Drums they know how having 3 mic positions helps for sound.

I\'m only working on a few hours of sleep so I may be missing some....back to work yay

The \"Bosendorfer Imperial\" from Bardstown Audio captures the ambience of the performance hall in which it was sample recorded with the release trigger samples.

Bardstown Audio

There\'s Peter Ewer\'s Symphonic Organ too, which sounds great (for a church organ [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ).

How about VoTA? I am very pleased with the \'catherdral\' sound they have. The pitched and non-pitched consonants do not, however.

So far with what I have and am using (beta), the Kirk Hunter Brass lib will have a selection of ambience. For example, french horns gigs (among other things) have a near mike, a medium hall, and a concert hall ambience in different gigs. The near mike stuff takes verb very well indeed.

A quick question:

When you say ambience you just refer to slightly different coloration to the sample depending on the distance from the mic to the source? I don\'t think you\'re talking about actually reverb, do you?

I\'m asking because I don\'t see how it\'s posible to record in the same room with a close mic and a far mic, and just get reverb on the far mic. Reverb is a quality of the room, right? So basically, you can\'t suppress reverb on a close mic, although it will have a stronger direct signal from the source?

So, the far mic has a higher reverb-to-direct-signal ratio, and different timbre to the noise due to trapping (longer distance). Am I right?

Please, help me understand this, I find this topic really fascinating, and seemingly a cornerstone of the up and coming orchestral libraries recording paradigm.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Donnie did a nice programming trick for the Prosonus Orchestral Collection. Reverb was added to the samples (I think with that Sony hardware convolver, because it sounds really nice), and you control the amount of reverb with the MOD Wheel.

Perhaps Nick\'s library will use a similar approach...

If its anything like LOP, then Prosonous isn\'t really revedrb control, its just release control over the \"tail\". Its really only usefull on percussive/short samples. I dont know tho, I dont have Prosonous. it could be layers or something in which case it is actual ambience control. I\'m still a bit diheartened at LOP\'s ambience control It was a major selling point for me, and I was so bummed when it was jsut release control.

Nick\'s lib (and it seems Kirks too, YAY!!! Can\'t wait to hear the seperate mics) will give seperate actual samples for each mic placement. DDBE also offers two mic positions, tho I personally prefer three.

anyhow, the ambience control is an important aspect IMO. IT gives control over the mix of the instruments in ways that you just cant get with reverbs and EQs, and convolving. Its more \"cohesive\".

people complain about sample gloat, I think thats a minimal issue in most cases. Tho what developers might want to consider is selling a \"lighter\" version with already mixed samples. Could cut the price down a little.

I don\'t know King, you might be right. I think as a matter of fact, you probably are (I don\'t think I can hear any early reflections, just tail)

All this new libraries coming out with different mic positions for maximum flexibility sound like a good idea. HOWEVER, how would one work with more than one library recorded this way, each one having its own \"sound space\"?

I understand Nick proclaiming his new library as a one stop solution, and perhaps it is. But, what if working with other libraries becomes necessary?
    Doesn\'t then the wet over dry debate become a double edged sword? Trying to match the different sound spaces of each library... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Shouldn\'t there be some kind of white paper on this issue to ensure standarization (at least to some point?). Just think of HTML for example. You could fill a room on papers, standards, and revisions on HTML and similar technologies. Why not do the same with sampling techniques? I remember an old post (I think Maarten and ThomasJ were behind it, but I might be wrong), some sort of manifest. Maybe we should step back and think about what\'s coming up.

Also, does this mean that the dry sampling school is dead, and that reverb software and hardware is obsolete by lack of necesity?

Man, there\'s too much going on right now. I need to take a nap... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum