• Register
  • Help

Topic: Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Romance, 5. Danse Générale

Share/Bookmark

Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Romance, 5. Danse Générale

Dear friends,

Here is the 5th part of the Grétry ballet suite: la Danse Générale. For the first time, I didn't quite follow the written published score. I composed a different setting with the help of the original manuscript by Grétry himself. There are in many ways a number of differences. Grétry (and so many other composer of that era) wrote only the necessary parts in his score. The later published ballet edition presents more parts, being useful for available musicians. So there are some parts in it that not necessarily have to be performed, they are meant for different ensembles (with/without woodwinds, small/big orchestra, more/less volume...) It's not such a good idea to perform all the doubled parts in the score. This version is the 'thinner' version.

Danse Générale (and the other pieces)

Max

Re: Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Romance, 5. Danse Générale

Hello again Max!

Interesting back-story behind this recording and the composition itself. I guess it makes sense to write a piece of music for a diverse range of ensembles, especially for something like a dance that could be performed in many different settings. I liked the bounciness of this. Though, I suppose it's sort of a forceful bouncing - almost like a quick march in some aspects. I could easily imagine this being performed by purely woodwind instruments, too.

As with the previous parts, I really enjoyed the listen! Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Max, I had another session with this piece and again loved the way you handled the score. Superb sound and a refreshing orchestration, different from the score we both have. I a private message I suggested another version with brassband and modest rhythm section(snares?). Worth trying as a leap to the 21-st century? Maybe kidding and teasing a bit.

Raymond - stuck on BabababaBach

A very nice realistic rendering of this obscure work. A search brought up possibly something in french.

I'll have to listen to the other five pieces.

Phil

Thanks Michael, Raymond and Phil for the listen. I enjoyed and i'm still enjoying the work with these little marvels. Two more to come, but there is an awful lot of interesting music by Grétry waiting to be opened to the big public (don't be afraid, I don't consider it 'my duty' to do so) and even work of a much higher musicality and intellectual level. Next to him, there is the superb Belgian contemporary composer François Gossec (who wrote the model for Mozarts Requiem Mass). Maybe some of his music will be looked into.

Thanks for having taken the time to listen and comment.

Max

This is definitely a more intimate take on this one than I'm used to without all the brass stabs pushing it along. I havie always had a picture in my mind of a "Dancing General" (i.e. a Dancing 18th century military general) with this piece.

An enjoyable interpretation though. It actually transitions more logically into part 6.

Go Back to forum