• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sergei Prokofjev: Symphonie Classique (mvnt 1 and 2)

Share/Bookmark

Sergei Prokofjev: Symphonie Classique - complete

Dear friends,

here are the first two movements of Prokofjev's Symphony Classique. This is also a "reworking" of my old MIDI files from 1999, now adapted to GPO.
    The remaining 2 movements will follow soon.

I hope you enjoy the music!

http://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp....que-op-25-1917
    Last edited by reinholdbehringer; 04-28-2014 at 08:03 PM. Reason: change in title was necessary - all files are now complete

Re: Sergei Prokofjev: Symphonie Classique - complete

Just to let you know: now all four movements are ready online:

https://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp...que-op-25-1917

Re: Sergei Prokofjev: Symphonie Classique (mvnt 1 and 2)

It is really done with GPO?
    You are incredible!
    We are trying to sound OK ( just OK) and you prove that it is not GPO but our lack of talent holding us back.
    Very,very nice. Let me put it a different way, about 85% of the time I can forget that was produced by GPO, the remaining 15% is still very good.
    I enjoy your work, ever since I heard your Mahler.

Thanks Reinhold.

Ted

Hi Reinhold,

This ist unbelievably good. A true honour to the Garritan Libraries and the genius of Gary Garritan, but at the same time great respect for your endeavour and persistence to realise such a huge composition with samples. You've managed to get a very convincing orchestral sound (a little deep in reverb maybe). You did a wonderful job!

Thanks for sharing,

Max

Dear Ted, dear Max,

thank you very much for your positive comments!
    I am very glad that you like these recordings. Now I have to work on the remaining 15%

Thanks, Max, for pointing out the reverb issue. Yes, I agree, this my fault, because I do listen to these recordinGs only through headphones. And the sound there comes alive only when I add some reverb. But it is probably too much. I did restrain it a bit in the Gavotta, but I will need to do this also in the other movements.

I am using "Concert Hall 1", which has quite a thick reverb, so I then set the individual tracks to values around 30 - 50 (out of 127). The individual track reverb can be used to place instruments in the foreground (little reverb) or in the background (more reverb). I will tinker with that some time and will let you know when a new version is online.

(Now I will move to re-working some more of my old MIDIs.)

I have the original..... and I will have yours. Yours with GPO is sublime!!!! Later this evening I'll come back to this, must listen again.

Blown away by this!!!

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    Dear Ted, dear Max,

thank you very much for your positive comments!
    I am very glad that you like these recordings. Now I have to work on the remaining 15%

Thanks, Max, for pointing out the reverb issue. Yes, I agree, this my fault, because I do listen to these recordigns only through headphones. And the sound there comes alive only when I add some reverb. But it is probably too much. I did restrain it a bit in the Gavotta, but I will need to do this also in the other movements.

I am using "Concert Hall 1", which has quite a thick reverb, so I then set the individual tracks to values around 30 - 50 (out of 127). The individual track reverb can be used to place instruments in the foreground (little reverb) or in the background (more reverb). I will tinker with that some time and will let you know when a new version is online.

(Now I will move to re-working some more of my old MIDIs.)
    I wouldn't add more reverb to increase the listening distance; I would prefer to decrease the dry (direct sound) parameter instead. (And maybe a bit less brilliance in the equalising). Adding reverb often leads to a muddy result.

Max

To end the day, again Prokofiev. This is astonishing! Look at the CC64's of the timp-roll at about 12-14 seconds, maybe some muting at the end. What about that reverb, it is simply good, not overdone, just right for my ears (with headphones). Give the flutes from 2:50 and further a bit more juice. Oh boy, what am I talking about? It is just great.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    To end the day, again Prokofiev. This is astonishing! Look at the CC64's of the timp-roll at about 12-14 seconds, maybe some muting at the end. What about that reverb, it is simply good, not overdone, just right for my ears (with headphones). Give the flutes from 2:50 and further a bit more juice. Oh boy, what am I talking about? It is just great.

Raymond
    Thank you very much, Raymond!

In your comments, do you mean the first movement, when you mention timpani-roll and flutes, or another one?
    I am glad that you like the reverb with headphones.

This music has been one of my favorite pieces, it is a fabulous composition.
    I am so glad that GPO allows me to "play" it on my computer.

Really good showing of GPO's possibilities. Excellently done! Nice piece, too, for showing these traits - the clarity of the lines comes through very nicely.

The sound of two hands clapping!
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast