• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Comparable Woodwinds?

Share/Bookmark

Comparable Woodwinds?

Putting together my *realistic* dream studio on paper so I can set goals for the coming months on which products I\'d like to add and which could wait.

I already own GOS for my string section, and I\'m favoring Project Sam\'s brass bundle to take care of that section, but what about woodwinds?

I\'ve heard of the Westgate collection, but isn\'t that only one or two CDs? GOS is 3 DVDs... now I\'m not saying size is everything, but it looks like my woodwind section would be afraid of being jumped behind the theater by my string section, and it wouldn\'t be a fair fight...

Do you guys know of other woodwind collections that would give me the flexibility of the larger libs? Are the 2 Westgate CDs enough? And is Project Sam the best bet for brass currently?

Any opinions and help would be appretiated... not wanting to post a this vs that thread, just let me know the pros and cons of what you\'re using, in your experiences, not - why mine is better than yours...

Thanks everyone.

Re: Comparable Woodwinds?

Alan

I have stopped using any other woods since I bought Opus 1, and until VSL bring out new selection in the Horizon range, I doubt that I\'ll need to consider anything else. It\'s as simple as that.

Cheers
    Heath

P.S. Get SAM and you probably won\'t look back.

Heh heh, I hear the part about the *realistic* home studio.

Westwinds are really good for slower passages. If you plan on doing anything rapid, it would probably be better to look elsewhere.

I\'ll probably end up getting the SAM bundle as well. Very economical, practical, and useable from what I can tell.

Why don´t you consider the best woodwind collection - VSL??? Also , Kirk Hunter is launching his complete woodwing section...

I use the QLSO and I wouldn´t invest more money in any other one because I´m very satisfied with it!!!

Breakdown of prices:

VSL - not sure these days.. $3000\'ish?
    Opus 1 - $990 retail price
    Westgate Extended - $200 (2 CDs)

I own Westgate, and like it a great deal. And I have to disagree with the statement that you should look elsewhere for using winds in rapid passages. Westgate comes with staccato/marcato/portato, so you can skillfully piece together multiple tracks, each with a different articulation, in order to get realistic phrases.

The Westgate set is good, and the extra disc makes a big difference. I used that oboe with most of VSL, and to me, it went with everything quite well.

The Kirk Hunter articulation list looks very promising too.

Maybe the SAM team will release a woodwind set. I can\'t until their new solo brass comes out.

I\'m sorry, but VSL has the best woodwind library out there - there is no comparison. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You can do rapid stuff, and it sounds realistic. You can do slow stuff, and it sounds equally as good.

I\'ve heard some nice things about Westgate in that it has some ambience and \'grit\', but the true legato in VSL can\'t be beat - in my opinion.

It comes at a price though, literally - but it\'s more than worth every penny. :-D

I have Opus 1, Dan Dean, AO, Xsample and the Westgate woodwinds. Opus 1/VSL really shines indeed and is probably the best around. Westgate is gritty, rough and works great in orchestral settings. For subtle, soft, close-up stuff Westgate may not be subtle enough. Dan Dean and Xsample can do nice things in that area. Especially Xsample is nice for slow, soft passages (lots of air).

I also once bought the Kirk Hunter flute disc, and although it was not expensive, I consider it a complete waste of money. Bad recording, bad programming, fake sound and faked ensembles and faked ambience. Maybe there is something real, but I don\'t care. My first and last purchase from KH. Even the good old AO flute is way better.

Originally posted by Alan Lastufka:
    Putting together my *realistic* dream studio on paper so I can set goals for the coming months on which products I\'d like to add and which could wait.

I already own GOS for my string section, and I\'m favoring Project Sam\'s brass bundle to take care of that section, but what about woodwinds?

I\'ve heard of the Westgate collection, but isn\'t that only one or two CDs? GOS is 3 DVDs... now I\'m not saying size is everything, but it looks like my woodwind section would be afraid of being jumped behind the theater by my string section, and it wouldn\'t be a fair fight...

Do you guys know of other woodwind collections that would give me the flexibility of the larger libs? Are the 2 Westgate CDs enough? And is Project Sam the best bet for brass currently?

Any opinions and help would be appretiated... not wanting to post a this vs that thread, just let me know the pros and cons of what you\'re using, in your experiences, not - why mine is better than yours...

Thanks everyone.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Alan, the suggested list of the SAM Brass combo package with Westgate puts you halfway to VSL Opus 1. Actually more than halfway with discounts prior to the March 15 increase.

You\'re looking at about a 30GB library with a basic Performance set for the legato tool, alternation tool and repetitions! You\'re also getting the VSL regular strings PLUS the muted strings.

Opus 1 is a tremendous value and it\'s sound is equal to the larger editions.

Also, Opus 1 with GOS is a great sound. They really mix together well.

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    I\'m sorry, but VSL has the best woodwind library out there - there is no comparison. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You can do rapid stuff, and it sounds realistic. You can do slow stuff, and it sounds equally as good.

I\'ve heard some nice things about Westgate in that it has some ambience and \'grit\', but the true legato in VSL can\'t be beat - in my opinion.

It comes at a price though, literally - but it\'s more than worth every penny. :-D
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">again thats Legato tool VS sound of the instruments. VSL woodwinds sound good ...but VSL obe isn´t the best obe on the market...
    So maybe Westgate + VSL Woodwinds....

Go Back to forum