• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT - New Macs!

Share/Bookmark

OT - New Macs!

For anyone interested, Apple just released new G4\'s with DDR Ram (finally) and faster bus speeds.

Nothing incredibly exciting (G5\'s) but it\'s an improvement which will hopefully be felt more when Apple releases an OS X version of Logic! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: OT - New Macs!

Cool. I\'ve been thinking of switching to Mac for my sequencer for a while now... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten

Thanks for the info Blue!

No more , looking for a cheap Dual 800.
    I`m going for the New 1GHz Dual !!
    This is great !

Veron

I would hold off until others are reporting on the performance of these bad boys if I were you guys.

My biggest problem with the new G4s are that they are using an overclocked chip. That means that while the DDR RAM is boasting a throughput speed of 2.7 Gbps, the motherboard is slowing it back down to 1.3 Gbps. Nowhere in their marketing literature is this being mentioned (surprise). If you look at some of the other Mac boards you will find that the fur is flying about this one. It means that you will be paying for expensive RAM that you basically can\'t use for its improved speed performance. They might as well have given you the old RAM specs instead.

Another issue is that while you have two ATA busses, only one of them supports ATA66. I only get top performance by putting my working audio drives on an ATA133 bus. ATA66s are, I think, best used for application drives and things that don\'t demand too much throughput.

Also-- this one is unconfirmed --rumour has it that Apple will not be including a disc for OS 9 with these puppies.

To me, it really does look like this is a last-ditch attempt to buy some time while they continue to wrestle with Motorola over their chip manufacturing issues on the G5.

Still, if you\'ve been lusting for a dual-G4, you can\'t beat the price. For my money, I am going to hold-off for the long-anticipated G5s.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Originally posted by BlueScreen:
    I would hold off until others are reporting on the performance of these bad boys if I were you guys.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bluescreen, I\'m currently using a Mac G4 400mhz, and it was fine until I added another motu 2408 I/O. I see you aren\'t content with dual 1 ghz processers and a bigger buss. I would think that that would be overkill for my needs, what exactely are you doing with your computer that you need so much speed?

I\'m only asking because I need to make an informed decision about my next Mac purchase, and I\'m hoping to get one for under 2500 bucks! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    Rick

Mr.BlueScreen

Thank you for the Information.

About OS 9 ,I heard that there will be a OS9 Disc.
    And also heard that it will boot OS9.
    Well this is a rumor of course . (In Japan)

Veron

I think the DDR Ram issue that you cite might not be as much of an issue at all in the G4 architecture. You might be not be looking at the big picture.

For everyone....I think the low end G4 (Dual 867 for $1700) is a bargain of a computer. The price is really good, you can blow it up with 2gigs of RAM for some rocking performance with Unity Session.....it would certainly be able to handle the majority of GS instruments out there. The increased bus speed and other refinements will come in handy too. For hard drives, I would highly reccomend an Ultra-SCSI card, they are cheap!

I think this system is so kicking that I\'m placing my order really soon!

I agree wholeheartedly Midphase! I\'ve cancelled my quest for a second hand/refurb dual 800 (do they even exist?) and wil surely purchase the new dual 867 shortly. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hi Rick.

I see you aren\'t content with dual 1 ghz processers and a bigger buss. I would think that that would be overkill for my needs, what exactely are you doing with your computer that you need so much speed?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">My Mac is the heart of my music studio. An incomplete list of all the software I run on it would include:

</font><ul type=\"square\">[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Peak
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sibelius
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Finale
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Digital Performer
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Halion
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">All kinds of VSTi
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">ReCycle
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Reason
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Adobe GoLive
    </font>[*]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">MS Office
    </font>[/list]<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think the biggest crunch on my Mac is the demands placed upon it by Halion and Cubase. Even with the GigaStudio, there are some sample banks that I only have in Halion format.
    So, for me, there is no such thing as a Mac that is too fast or efficient! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Don\'t get me wrong-- I think the bang for the buck factor is good on these new models. I just don\'t want to get caught with my pants down when the G5s are announced next year. Like I said, I consider it false advertising on the part of Mac that they hype the DDR memory knowing full well that the mobo can\'t take advantage of it.

Here are a couple of good links to these issues:

Macworld UK

and

Mac OS Rumors

As Macworld is the more reliable of the two, Veron, you might be right in thinking that they are going to include a disc of OS 9. But the other issue about DDR memory is confirmed.

Hope this helps.

Go Back to forum