• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New piece using Westgate Woodwinds

New piece using Westgate Woodwinds

I had this phobia for a while called crappywoodwindphobia. The cause? Advanced Orchestra. Symptoms? Being very afraid to use woodwinds (especially up front and solo) in a piece because they sounded so flat and synthetic.

Now I got over that phobia. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Here\'s a piece making VERY heavy use of Westgate, with just GOS as a backdrop for rhythm. Yes, two people have already said the beginning reminds them of the Jawa theme from Star Wars.. but I\'ve not heard that piece, so I don\'t really know how similar it is.

I\'ve also ditched the NFX reverb this time and used Lexicon Pantheon, using the \"Small Chamber\" preset for a suitable intimate ambience.

PS: Any ideas why Pantheon really kills the DSP panning here? Clarinet was supposed to be left, double reeds on the right... NFX did OK, but Pantheon seems to kill it and everything bleeds together.

Re: New piece using Westgate Woodwinds

Interesting. The WW do sound very good. It\'s a great library. I like the string sections too.

I think it\'s too wet though. Everyone has their own ideas about reverb though, so take that with a grain of salt. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Cool work Sam.

I like the song, but hate the mix. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] What you need to do, is take the reverb down to about 10% (or even less) and use a hall reverb instead to widen the space a little (This is what I would do, anyway). Also, I wouldn\'t use the presets because they kinda\' suck in comparison to what you can do yourself. Create your own reverb and make it perfect! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] There\'s not enough high end, either. You should use the Sonitus EQ and raise the high end a little.

Anyway, if you want, try that and see if you like it better.

Too bad I\'m 99% composer and 1% audio guy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I\'d make my own reverb settings in Pantheon, but I haven\'t the faintest idea what all the settings do. I can hear slight differences, and in some cases, no difference at all.. so I can\'t just guess what they do.

I\'m gonna throw on some headphones and mess around with Pantheon and Sonitus:fx Reverb & see which one I like better.

Oh, man, you should mess with that kind of stuff! It can make your compositions sound so much better!

Wow.. I like Sonitus:fx reverb a lot. It sounds close to NFX in spaciousness, but probably without the cheapo quality that some people can pick out in NFX.

I also tried out the Sonitus:fx Surround plugin. I wonder if it beats using Giga\'s DSP panning for stage positioning.

The Sonitus:fx verb sounds much much better. Did you ditch the izotope ozone? I like the composition too.

I haven\'t used Ozone in a while. I use it only when I feel something in the mix needs brightening up or needs to be more \"sparkly.\"

I don\'t want to get off topic, but...I\'d like to hear the piece, and it used to be that I would just click on a link to an mp3 and the reliable media player would open and stream the file. But now stupid Quicktime has taken over my system. Does anyone know how to disable its web streaming integration or re-enable media player to play the link? It works if I download the file first, but not when I click a link.

Go Back to forum