• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: EWQLSO vs. VSL !!!

Share/Bookmark

EWQLSO vs. VSL !!!

What does everyone think about this. I would like to here from users of both EWQLSO Platinum or Gold and VSL. Overall what sounds better? What runs better? Please no talk about silly technal stuff regarding mutiple licenses, NI being lame, etc. I am purely interested in what is overall the better sounding (ie more representational to a real orchestra) library and which is easier to use. thanks.

Re: EWQLSO vs. VSL !!!

It\'s been covered many times before...do a forum search.

Actually I did a small write up on EWQLSO -- see it here:

http://www./EWQLSO.html

...and before you start in on yet another major sample library shootout, please check this thread on using them together:

VSL & EWQLSO Together?

I\'m a VSL user but I really like what I\'m hearing with EWQLSO Platinum and Gold. The hall is hard to beat. EWQLSO was recorded a 2-time Grammy Winner who was also nominated for 8 Grammys as well: Professor Keith O. Johnson.

Check out Prof. Johnson\'s accomplishments:

http://www.referencerecordings.com/about.html

VSL in the hands of a pro can be very convincing. The performance tool legato and alternation settings sound incredible. Check out my interview with Kuno Schmidt who uses VSL exclusively - there are mp3 demos of his there as well:

http://www./spotlightkuno.html

My point: VSL & EWQLSO are both excellent tools. Its your call which one you choose. Just be mindful that tools cannot in and of themselves replace compositional ability or engineering talent.

Best,

God, this has got to be the most tired topic. I actually did a double take when i saw this thread. Why VS.? Why against? Why not both? Yea, we know ..Money. Save your pennies, cause both libs. do diff. things well. Rich

These two libs are completely different and cannot be compared directly...

The only thing in common they have is the Orchestra!

I did a review of both for Strumenti Musicali magazine in Italy and I haven\'t only went through the sounds and \'judged\' how they fit together (in a real orchestral arrangement) but also the quality of their programming and how the programs are obtained from samples...

I strongly suggest any of the owners of both to do the same and tell me what they think of it... I found some very interesting things... product philosophy is completely different: sound-wise, size-wise, programming-wise, sampling method wise, manual info wise, price wise (pro against Platinum!), performance wise, format wise ...

I wish I could do a live demo to show both of the libraries and put an end to these X vs. Y debates... [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] ... it\'s a different thing, only the marketing makes us think that they are competing, they are actually not IMHO.

And why should you take for granted my opinion? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Best regards and good luck in your search for the Sacred Graal!

Simone Coen

Originally posted by Rich Pell:
    God, this has got to be the most tired topic. I actually did a double take when i saw this thread. Why VS.? Why against? Why not both? Yea, we know ..Money. Save your pennies, cause both libs. do diff. things well. Rich
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">BOTH??? I dont hink that it is good idea! Yes, of course...you could use them together. BUT - The great thing on EWQLSO is the natural Hall ambience - and if you use it together with VSL - you lose it...
    And yes - money - VSL + EWQLSO is really VERY EXPENCIVE...

Oh my--> OK the half of a piece will have Real ambience and half Software verb...THAT´S Really what it is about [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Simone:
    These two libs are completely different and cannot be compared directly...

The only thing in common they have is the Orchestra!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Fairly contradictory statements, I\'m afraid. They can and should be compared in the same way that a performance of Le Sacre by the LA Phil can be judged against one by the LSO. So compare away.

To the user, the fact that EWQLSO and VSL are both orchestras-in-a-box is all the qualification that\'s needed.

Even though this topic has been covered before, it doesn\'t mean it should never be discussed again. Perhaps it\'s time for new evaluations and opinions.

Heath

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by handz:
    Oh my--> OK the half of a piece will have Real ambience and half Software verb...THAT´S Really what it is about [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Engineering 101. People are doing it quite literally all the time.

After much research and demo listening as well as some of the incerdible user songs on these forums I have reached a decision. First of all I am not going to be rocking mutilple computers nor am I really aiming to go stricly with Orchestral compositions. I am simply looking to create some nice strings atmospheres or add a cello over a bass line or play the tuba! Basicly I want an ORchestra at my finger tips [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

For this reason I am ruling out Platinum and also ruling out VSL as I do not need this many gigs on my FW800 drive for my orchestral purposes.

15GB sounds nice to me so I am going with EWQLSO Gold. Now I really found a lack of complete ORchestra librarys in this size frame, lets say between 10-20GB. Opus 1 looks cool but not as cool as EWQLSO Gold. An I leaving out any all in one complete Orchesta\'s around this size? thanks.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast