• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Woodwinds...

Share/Bookmark

Woodwinds...

So I guess if I went with the VSL Pro Edition for Brass/Winds I\'d have to purchase the Performance Set too...? If I want all the special repetition patches and that stuff.

So is Dean Dan Solo Woodwinds that bad in comparison? I heard that it doesn\'t even have trills? It\'s over 3 years old now, so I wonder if DD is still one of the top dogs.....

It would be over $3500 for the VSL Brass/Winds + Performance set... yowza! OR.. about $800 for the SAM Bundle + DD Winds

Sorry, so many questions.... but the real question: is Dan Dean Winds worth the $ ?

Thanks.

Re: Woodwinds...

Don\'t forget to check out VSL Opus 1 which includes the most popular performance instruments.

Dan Dean sounds good but I have not been using them much as it uses quite a bit of memory. Actually, I use the GPO woodwinds most of the time with some QLSO Silver and Dan Dean instruments usually in the 2nd chairs. Mainly because Silver and Dan Dean don\'t have a legato function which GPO is quite good at. Plus I find the GPO woodwinds easy to use.

Hey Matt,

If you can spring for it - get the Opus 1. The VSL legato winds are nothing short of fabulous. I found myself the other day writing an extended and exposed legato bassoon line - yes BASSOON. Don\'t get me wrong, I love the bassoon, but haven\'t really thought of it as a solo instrument before VSL. Like the other VSL winds (excepting the Vienna Oboe), it is just so expressive - with very little editing required after playing in the part.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Hey Matt,

If you can spring for it - get the Opus 1. The VSL legato winds are nothing short of fabulous. I found myself the other day writing an extended and exposed legato bassoon line - yes BASSOON. Don\'t get me wrong, I love the bassoon, but haven\'t really thought of it as a solo instrument before VSL. Like the other VSL winds (excepting the Vienna Oboe), it is just so expressive - with very little editing required after playing in the part.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Opus 1 does look great. The only thing is, I have GOS, and was looking at getting the SAM Bundle. So I\'d really just be getting Opus 1 for the Winds/Perc. How does the brass in Opus 1 compare to SAM ?

Thanks-

if VSL is superrior in something it is definitely not brass. VSL brass is no match for SAM

Originally posted by handz:
    if VSL is superrior in something it is definitely not brass. VSL brass is no match for SAM
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ok, that\'s what I\'ve heard. So basically I have to pay for Opus 1 just for the Winds, is DD that bad in comparison to the VSL Winds?

Quite a few folks are happy with the Westgate Woodwinds, which is so inexpensive it\'s almost silly not to have it. Do a search and you\'ll find several older threads comparing and discussing ww libraries.

Originally posted by Haydn:
    Don\'t forget to check out VSL Opus 1 which includes the most popular performance instruments.

Dan Dean sounds good but I have not been using them much as it uses quite a bit of memory. Actually, I use the GPO woodwinds most of the time with some QLSO Silver and Dan Dean instruments usually in the 2nd chairs. Mainly because Silver and Dan Dean don\'t have a legato function which GPO is quite good at. Plus I find the GPO woodwinds easy to use.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Haydn.

DD Solo Woodwinds \"uses more memory\" because it was designed with up to 6 layers per instrument. DD Solo Brass and Brass Ensembles use 8 layers. This means, up to 8 discrete samples are programmed to each key from ppp to fff. They are not dependent on filtering a single layer to change timbre. In my instruments, you hear REAL timbre.

These 3 libraries use compressed .wavs which makes the instruments up to about 35% smaller. Some libraries use 1 layer with filtering. Others use 2 or 3 layers. Some libraries leave a large chunk of silence at the end of their samples (up to 15% of the .wav size). This makes them seem twice as large compared to mine. Since I use compression and trim my .wavs as tightly as possible at the end, my libraries are 50% smaller, or twice as expressive for their size.

For example, DDSWW contains 6144 samples at an uncompressed size of 5.95 GB (4.65GB compressed). The Clarinet alone has 720 samples. Look at your libraries and start calculating. How can an instrument with 30 samples even come close to the detail of one with 720? Any comparision of these two libraries makes one wonder about the poster\'s party affiliation.

It all comes down to what you want. Most people get into sampling because they want realism from their instruments. If you use filtering, if you use Melodyne to pitch shift notes and if you use \"Freefilter\" tricks, you\'re not getting the real sound of the instrument.

Hans Zimmer uses my Woodwinds, Brass and Brass Ensembles.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by handz:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I do not have this observation at all.

SAM brass instruments sound really great. However, VSL brass has a huge number of specific strengths. The legato/repetition aspects are the most obvious...you can play very quick lines that have the momentum and characteristics of playing. They can be mixed right in your face, and in extremely exposed uses without giving themselves away. The solo horn in Herb\'s earliest Blue Danube demo is one classic example. You can play that line literally from the keyboard, in one pass, and get that level of realism in highly exposed settings.

The variety of low brass in VSL is excellent. The tubas and trombones, in particular, give you a lot of choices in constructing your brass choir. The mulitiplicity of instruments also gives you some construction kit capabilities in low brass, i.e., using legato/sustain with release sets together, mixing tenor, bass, and contrabass legato trombones for a true three-trombone legato ensemble instrument. Those are incredibly powerful options.

The trumpets are also highly facile instruments, and are C trumpets--giving you the compactness of tone that is generally overlooked in most sample libraries.

I would have to agree with Bruce on this one. VSL\'s brass is good. Play the \'tenor trombone - legato\' patch from your keyboard and that\'s all she wrote - it really is all that good. For me \'windows of creativity\' are somewhat short (must be my ADD!!!?!!). I find myself doing a lot less \'after\' the fact midiotic editing. These brass legato patches are so good I dare say they inspire the writing.

Having said that, I also love Sam (little more epic sounding - especially the trumpets and horns.) I often blend to two (Sam with VSL legato) to very pleasing effect.

Sorry for adding more confusion.

Rob

Go Back to forum