• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Demo Featuring Bardstown, DS Soundware, and Numerical Sound

Share/Bookmark

Demo Featuring Bardstown, DS Soundware, and Numerical Sound

Alan Russell sent me a midi file of his latest arrangement for \"Just Friends,\" with piano, bass, drums, and acoustic archtop rhythm guitar.

This demo features the Bardstown Bosendorfer Imperial Grand Model 290, acoustic archtop guitar from the Bardstown \"Vintage Jazz Guitars and Tenor Banjos\" collection, new drum set produced by Donnie Christian of DS Soundware, and one of the \"Pure Space\" impulse responses for room simulation from Ernest Cholakis of Numerical Sound.

The only processing on this demo was a little bit of low pass filtering on the Bosendorfer Imperial Grand with the EQ/Filters in Sequoia and a \"Pure Space\" impulse response in Sequoia\'s Room Simulator for some room ambience.

Enjoy!

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/friends.mp3

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Demo Featuring Bardstown, DS Soundware, and Numerical Sound

Wow, it\'s live jazz!!! Incredibly realisitic. I was thinking the piano might come down a tiny amount maybe a little more drums, but it would be hard to improve that performance.

Alan\'s piano playing is so damn fanatastic..I hate him... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Nice playing as usual Alan.
    The trio piano, bass & drums sounds very good. The guitar playing I\'m not too crazy about especially in the beginning where it ought to be playing quarter note downbeat chords instead of upbeats. It is very hard to emulate this kind of guitar playing with a keyboard since the pick strokes don\'t hit all the strings at once.
    Also, the addition of muted chords (mostly upstrokes) is essential and makes the guitar one of the percussive elements of the rhythm section.
    Even for a guitar player this kind of comping can be very challenging depending on your background [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] but it is one of the secret of a swinging track.

Good job overall [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I just did a re-mix of this great jazz tune by bringing down the piano in the mix and boosting the bass and drums a bit. The re-mixed version is the same mp3 link as before.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Patrick,

I appreciate your critique about the guitar performance and as an educator you have given me some great homework to look forward too and to play around with.

Thanks again for your suggestion..

Alan Russell

Nice piece!

Where is the bass from?

The remix is definitely better. \"Real\" jazz is as tough a thing as there is to do with samples, but I think this is the closest thing to close-your-eyes believable as I\'ve heard. Very good work. Just don\'t go addin\' no saxes! Is that a Trilogy bass?

It is a Trilogy acoustic bass.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Many thanks to all of you guys for the compliments, and many thanks to Alan for another superb performance!

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Sean,

Your words and comments are truly appreciated!

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum