• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: OT: Anyone using Waves Linear Multiband Compressor?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Anyone using Waves Linear Multiband Compressor?

This plugin simply rocks [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Great for a final mix.
    Hell, all of the new Waves plugins are fantastic.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Anyone using Waves Linear Multiband Compressor?

Originally posted by Damon:
    This plugin simply rocks [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img] Great for a final mix.
    Hell, all of the new Waves plugins are fantastic.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, it\'s the bomb. I would say that it\'s the sh*t, but you can\'t say that in here.

Damon,

Can you give us a little more detail on what product you are using and for what. How is it better than other plug-ins? A link would also be helpful. Thanks in advance.

www.waves.com

The Linear Phase Multiband, along with the new Linear EQs are part of the Masters Bundle, Waves\' newest line.

The Linear Phase Multiband is the current generation of their C4 multiband compressor. The difference is the addition of another band (you now have five), and the \"linear phase\" engine, which prevents the output signal from taking on phase anomalies as a part of the frequency splitting process. The final difference is a new feature called adaptive threshold, which allows realtime modulation of threshold depths in a given band by the frequency band immediately below it.

That all translates into a much cleaner and optionally punchier output from the compressor. It is designed as a high-end mastering tool for orchestral and pop music, but if you have the horsepower to run it (and the $$ to buy it), you can get fabulous results in mixing as well. A person could literally write a book on the uses of multiband compression--it is, quite literally, like signal-modulated EQ, and can be used to dramatically and transparently change the color of a signal, or to very un-transparently manipulate it in a variety of ways. Mastering engineers in all genres live and die by these.

The Masters Bundle also contains two Linear Phase EQs. One is a three band \"bass\" EQ, which concentrates a load of processing power in the bass regions. The other is a broadband design, with a total of six bands. The obvious feature here is the linear-phase output...lots of extra math, but the final result is an EQ that sounds as good as the $2500 and up hardware units.

Both are excellent for use on orchestral material, very uncolored, and leaps and bounds better sounding than the EQ built into GigaStudio.

Hi Guys.

I use the Waves C4 multiband compressor along with the L1 limiter for all of my mastering down to 16 bits. Sounds like the new one you describe has some more features that sound cool. FWIW, I love the C4, especially for pop mixes. Tend to stick to the L1 alone for classical/orchestral mixing.

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Bruce,

Having looked at the website you provided, I must say The waves \'Masters Bundle\' looks very impressive. You know that my verb is the Roland SRV-330. The Waves product is $900. It\'s a few bucks. With mostly Orchestral (some vocal productions), would you recommend it.

It\'s a lot of money, BUT I would hate to short changed my mixing/mastering stage of the process after all the time and $$ I have spent on Giga, sample Libraries, SX, etc. by not having it. I guess I am asking what would you do in my situation. Currently I am doing all my \'compression / limiting\' with Behringer ourboard gear.

Thanks for any advice you can give.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, you can spend money all day long every day, as you know, and still there would be more toys to buy.

There\'s no doubt that the Masters Bundle is several big steps above what you\'re using. It\'s full bore, with a sound on par with Manley and other exotic outboard gear.

Compared to outboard stuff, it\'s really almost nothing, pricewise. A stereo channel of Manley EQ will run you in the $2000 to $4000 range, and that\'s one stereo track. Given a speedy processor, you can run a bunch of Linear Phase EQs, so if it\'s money you can recoup, it\'s money well spent.

It\'s not a panacea. It\'s just very good EQ and compression, and can really give your tracks that expensive polish.

I\'d like to share my enthusiasm for the Waves Masters bundles. No one has mentioned the L2 but it\'s a significant improvement over the L1 IMO. Especially good is the new automatic release control which copes with dynamics in orchestral based music better than the L1 did to my ears. There\'s much less pumping.

The Multiband is great but easy to abuse. Make sure you keep hitting the bypass button if you\'re not sure what you\'re doing!!!

Dave Marsden
    http://www.gameaudio.com
    UK

If you aren\'t running PT/TDM, then its probably the best set of EQ and compression plug ins you can buy.

Even if you are running PT/TDM they are still a very powerfull set of plugs.

They are worth the 900 bucks if you believe in buying good gear at that price. If not, then dont buy it. It doesn\'t make them any worse.

There are other plugs that can help in the mastering stage as well (Some I couldn\'t live without). Its just that the Waves stuff is VERY clean.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. What distinguishes a good mix/master to me is \'transparency\'. In other words, I don\'t like a lot of color added - I guess I am always looking to improve the realism of my music - always looking to put my \'listener\' 10 rows back, centerish section.

While the EQ looks terrific, the L2 maximizer really has my attention. Particularily the fact that you can limit at, let\'s say -.04 db and will not get a spike over 0 db - all while not excessively coloring the sound. In my final mastered mixes I am always battling the fact that the \'mix is just not hot enough\'. Especially the dynamic orchestral stuff. Sounds like this bundle will help. Where are you guys picking it up? Is there a company selling it with the best price or is it only distributed from waves at list?

Again, thanks guys for helping me \'wade\' through this pool of products to only spend that hard-earned dough on the creme (I love the pastry metaphors.)

You should be careful when buying something with the pace interlock copy protection, i read a review in prorec.com about how harmful that is to the system, didnt want to believe it. Today i spent 6 hrs trying to recover my system\'soriginal configuration after simply unistalling a demo of antares autotune with the pace thing. I was going to buy it, along with the waves stuff, now im not so sure.

Go Back to forum