• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anyone using the QL56 Strat or Vintaudio guitars?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone using the QL56 Strat or Vintaudio guitars?

I need some new electric guitar sounds and I\'m considering picking up one or both of these libraries. There were some discussions about guitars a few months back and I had some questios answered back then.. Are there any new opinions or demos for them? I still have never heard any demo of the QL56 Strat except the \'official\' one. By now someone has to have made some music with it?

Also, can someone with the QL56 library let me know if it has hammer ons. The information for it on Soundsonline says it has \'pops\', I\'m not sure if that\'s the same thing. And it says that it has power chords and chugs, how extensive are they and are they offered at different speeds?

One more question...I guess this is a general Gigastudio question: Is there any way to make these libraries monophonic? (I think that\'s the right word) To let them only sound one note at a time? I spent a few hours in Guitar Center over the weekend playing with a Roland XV-5050 and the best lead tones are acheived when polyphony is turned off and only one note sounds at a time. I was actually suprised at how good the guitars and a lot of other things on the XV-5050 sound and might just put my money towards one of those, at least I know exactly what I\'ll be getting...

Thanks for any info and opinions you guys have!

Mike

Re: Anyone using the QL56 Strat or Vintaudio guitars?

Hi Clonewar, you\'ve probably listened to the demoes at Vintaudio.com, but Sound on Sound made a review of the library in their May issue and the reviewer even made a demo you can listen to on their site here\'s the url : www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/may02/articles/giga_sample.htm

Kindly
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Hi Franky, I had already read the SOS article and listened to the demo but forgot about them, thanks for the link. Do you know if its possible to turn off polyphony in Giga or in the library? The SOS demo is ok, but one of the problems is that noise that happens when you from one note to the next in a sampled guitar when distortion is applied. If only one note sounds at a time that problem is resolved and the sound is much better.

Thanks,
    Mike

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by clonewar:
    Hi Franky, I had already read the SOS article and listened to the demo but forgot about them, thanks for the link. Do you know if its possible to turn off polyphony in Giga or in the library? The SOS demo is ok, but one of the problems is that noise that happens when you from one note to the next in a sampled guitar when distortion is applied. If only one note sounds at a time that problem is resolved and the sound is much better.

Thanks,
    Mike
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi there...

I have used this library extensively, and have found it to be a really nice tool. Unlike the reviewer, my soft spot is for the Strat...it really comes in handy, and is dead on. If only TASCAM would put out some amp simulation...we\'d be off and running. Hard to believe all this time has passed, all that money TASCAM has to devote, and still the same lousy four NFX. Oh well, that\'s another thread...

You could certainly restrict GigaStudio\'s polyphony if you wanted, but I\'m not sure that\'s really the best methodology, since guitars ARE polyphonic beasts. The \"mess\" between notes is actually a realism-enhancer with most amp simulators...tubes (or virtual tubes) release a splash more distortion when the competing overtones from the overlap excite the circuitry.

I\'d suggest just leaving your polyphony wide open, and editing your tracks after the fact to polish the final version. That way you can experiment to get the precise amount of overlap that gives you the best results.

On a slightly related note, I\'m about to embark on a new mission, to produce the ultimate electric guitar sample library. It\'s well within my means and I think it\'ll turn out to be a fun experience. I am very interested in knowing what are the things that people would like to see in a good electric guitar library, and what are the things that are currently missing from the market.

I\'m all ears!

Hey Midphase,
    Keep us(me) posted on this project of yours...when it gets in the works...I would love to meet you and perhaps sit in on one of the project sessions... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Good Luck

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by midphase:
    On a slightly related note, I\'m about to embark on a new mission, to produce the ultimate electric guitar sample library. It\'s well within my means and I think it\'ll turn out to be a fun experience. I am very interested in knowing what are the things that people would like to see in a good electric guitar library, and what are the things that are currently missing from the market.

I\'m all ears!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">chicken pickin....eight or so layers, not just a couple

release samples with a little string squeak in \'em

chords without thirds!!

Of course, we\'ve heard Revalver is coming, Revalver is coming, wolf, wolf...so unless someone actually SHOWS us Revalver or a similar cabiniet simulator, I\'d want to hear a nice cabinet miked with a good old 57.

I have a XV 3080 (5080 compatible), the guitar sounds are very good. Especially the acoustic. Some VERY nice electric guitars as well. VintAudio\'s stuff is excellent. For the money, run don\'t walk, buy it. I will not purchase QL Strat because I never did get ANY feedback from anyone on the internet using this library. I have posted EVERYWHERE asking for end user demos. Nothing. Tells me alot.

To other developers considering an electric guitar library, I think the biggest area needed is rythm electric guitar strums. Up and down strokes, from just a little distortion to all our power chord strums. To be able to keystroke the different minor/major/sus variations is a must as well.

would you take a 421 instead Bruce?

Go Back to forum