• Register
  • Help

Topic: Culture, Atmosphere, QLSO short demo

Share/Bookmark

Culture, Atmosphere, QLSO short demo

I did this little semi-ethnic styled piece today, mostly during my lunch break. It uses primarily Culture, Atmosphere and QLSO. It\'s a fairly short piece made for fun, nothing serious. Not too polished yet either, so any advice or help is welcomed.

Earth Tribe

Re: Culture, Atmosphere, QLSO short demo

No comments? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

One thing I forgot to mention is I did mix in the drums/percussion as the dominant part of the piece - with the other elements further behind it.

I like it. Nice ambience... I do think the drum sounds are a bit too polished. I wanted to hear them be more gritty.

Thank you. I agree with you, I do think Yellow Tools recorded it very very cleanly. But I\'m not sure how to make it more gritty when using ethnic percussions. Advice on that would be very helpful. What kinds of tools would you use to give it more grit?

Originally posted by nt:
    Thank you. I agree with you, I do think Yellow Tools recorded it very very cleanly. But I\'m not sure how to make it more gritty when using ethnic percussions. Advice on that would be very helpful. What kinds of tools would you use to give it more grit?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Good question, I\'m sure there\'s plenty of people here that will help you with that.

I would probably mess with some different \'verbs, tweak the EQ\'s to boost lows.

nt,

Cool piece. I like it.

You can get all the grit you want with Izotope\'s Trash.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/trash/

-- Martin

Mschiff, thanks for the comment and recommendation. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice groove and instrument choices--kind of mezmerizing. I agree that the mix is a little too pretty, particularly the percussion. Get radical! Let the brass blow your hair back! You might try layering the drums with some less-good-sounding samples if you have any. Native American drums are often kind of tubby with fluffy transients, so those might dirty it up. And roll off the EQ from around 5kHz up to de-emphasize some of those ultra-clean close-miked hits. You could even dabble with a bit of some distortion plugin. Pick the whole thing up and throw it against the wall a few times! The music inside can take it!

Go Back to forum