• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Edvard Grieg: Holberg Suite for Strings

Share/Bookmark

Edvard Grieg: Holberg Suite for Strings

Dear friends,

another recording is completed: I did revise my recording of Edvard Grieg's Holberg Suite, which I recorded 1997-1999 with a Yamaha MU-80 synthesizer. In 2002 I had begun to record this with the Garritan GigaStrings, but I only completed the first 2 movements.

Now I have re-recorded the whole suite with Garritan Personal Orchestra-4 strings.

The recording is still a bit rough around the edges, I may fine-tune it in the next weeks. Naturally, the GPO4 has much fewer expressive string options than the GigaStrings library, but I tried to make the best of it.

I hope you enjoy the music!

http://virtualphilharmonic.bandcamp....ngs-op-40-1884

Re: Edvard Grieg: Holberg Suite for Strings

Hello,

Holberg Suite for Strings. Not familiar with this piece, but after hearing some other parts my brain woke up. The aha-Erlebnis. The begin with the last part. Those solo strings need some extra dimension, depth. I know, those GPO solo strings aren't the best (in fact very bad). It ruins the piece.

The other pieces (and the 4th) need a bit more attention and reverb settings. But generally speaking, you did it again great with GPO. You said so, some rough edges are present. I am very confident that you will make this shine as you did with Prokofiev's symphony.

Raymond

Thank you very much, Raymond, for listening and constructive criticism!

I will wait a little, then I will rework those again, as you suggested.
    Reverb-wise: do you think it needs more or less reverb?
    I have this time opted for a relatively dry sound (Concert Hall 2, with #91 around 40 - 60). I may increase this to get more reverb, but others have commented earlier that I use sometimes too much reverb...

I will pay some more attention to the solo strings. Yes, they are difficult to handle... you do have a great tool with the VSL strings, as you did show in your renditions. Maybe I will invest in those some time

Hi Reinhold,

This is a terrific job! The music is of course marvellous, but what you did with it, rendering to a very nice GPO recording, is a fantastic achievement.

But Raymond has a point. Working with GPO and making it sound realistic requires specific skills (ask Randy) to set up the ambience, the instrument sounds, the mixing. A lot of forum members succeeded in creating a decent virtual orchestra with GPO. It's a relatively cheap and very flexible library and most of all, it's supported by most notation programs in presets (avoiding thus lots and lots of program changes and key switches to render an acceptable performance). I admire your approach and endeavour for this suite. And the main thing is, I hope you've learnt a lot by transposing it into a virtual performance. That will certainly help you when composing your own pieces!

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    ......... Working with GPO and making it sound realistic requires specific skills (ask Randy) to set up the ambience, the instrument sounds, the mixing. A lot of forum members succeeded in creating a decent virtual orchestra with GPO. It's a relatively cheap and very flexible library and most of all, it's supported by most notation programs in presets (avoiding thus lots and lots of program changes and key switches to render an acceptable performance). I admire your approach and endeavour for this suite. ............

Max
    Hey Max, he also did the first symphony of Prokofiev!! In my humble opinion, this was the best I every heard from GPO, apart from that Beethoven piece DPDAN made in the earlier days of this forum. Ok, it is another piece, another instrumentation, mood, etc..... but what he did there, just sublime. This approach transferred to Holberg must eventually lead to another "masterpiece with GPO." He is one of the forum members who succeeds in making GPO really shine.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Hey Max, he also did the first symphony of Prokofiev!! In my humble opinion, this was the best I every heard from GPO, apart from that Beethoven piece DPDAN made in the earlier days of this forum. Ok, it is another piece, another instrumentation, mood, etc..... but what he did there, just sublime. This approach transferred to Holberg must eventually lead to another "masterpiece with GPO." He is one of the forum members who succeeds in making GPO really shine.

Raymond
    You're absolutely right, Raymond!

Max

Hello Reinhold!

I enjoyed listening to these recordings. Though parts of it sound familiar, I can't say I'd heard this music before listening. The rendering was lovely, though! This must've been quite the undertaking. I admire the effort you took to realize this from start to finish!

Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Dear Max, dear Raymond, dear Michael,

thank you very much for your positive and encouraging comments!

I will let you know when I have a new version up.

There is not much that I can (and want to) do regarding the sounds themselves, except of possibly adding more layers. But I can try to make more appropriate use of the controllers, to get the pizzicato / legato passages right, with the proper string attack and sustain. This may take a while until I will deem it ready...

ok, I made a few minor changes at the first movement: changed reverb from Concert Hall 2 to Concert Hall 1, which is more "reverby". Also I added another layer for the violins 1, trying to make it a bit smoother. Possibly more work is needed...

Now I have revised all 5 movements. I did not make many changes, just a few small corrections here and there. Need to move on to other music now... so I will leave this suite as it is.

Here is another recording of this music, for reference comparison:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPfxfO4NG1E
    (Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic).

To be honest, I think that the sounds of that recording are inferior to the GPO... maybe my ears already got "spoilt" from working too much with this library, or maybe these are just the MP3 compression artefacts which seem to spoil the string sounds in that video.
    I also have some disagreements with Mr Karajan about some of the tempo choices.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast