• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: akai to giga sounds bad. (why)?

Share/Bookmark

akai to giga sounds bad. (why)?

when I convert my akai cd\'s to giga they seem to sound very cheap. Is there something I\'m overseeing ie... setting ,perameters, convertion set-up.
    thanks

Re: akai to giga sounds bad. (why)?

I don\'t know if this is a common experiene, and I don\'t have an answer. However, I have a similar experience in converting the Splendid Piano to Giga. The result seems lifeless compared to the original samples in Akai.

(Part of the problem may be amplitude. Since Giga appears to play samples at a lower volume than they were recorded at, the need to increase the amplitude may cause some distortion, requiring EQ tweaks at the mixing board. I haven\'t had the time to play with the Splendid Piano import enough to verify this yet, however. I suspect that there are other issues as well.)

I think Jake\'s right. It\'s probably a level thing. With a good soundcard you should be able to get a cleaner sound out of Giga than the Akai though.

The other possibility is that you are getting a difference in the layering of programmes. Unless you set up something like Translator to emulate Akai\'s patch layering approach to velocity switching samples, you may be getting only a single velocity layer.

The truth is that conversions are just that.....conversions. Think of it in a similiar way that Yahoo™ converts foreign language boards into english. It essentially works, but you lose a lot of the finer points. It probably would help if you become familiar with the editor so that you can adjust parameters such as amplitude , velocity response and envelopes that can bring back the samples in all their glory. Ultimately, sound files are sound files are sound files! The digital information stored into an Akai CD Rom should sound identical whether it\'s played back on a zig or a zag! What makes the difference is the DA converters, filtering, and any additional hardware that\'s specific to the sound module. With a little tweaking, you should be able to restore those samples to their full glory!

I have the same problem of converting AKAI to GIG, with disappointing results. Could you maybe maybe explain more specific how to \'Restore those samples to their full glory\'?

Ok, the first thing I do is play them and try to figure out what I am missing. If it\'s a volume thing, or the attack, or perhaps there is some filtering that shouldn\'t be there.

In the editor you can adjust those things. I usually start with the attack and release envelopes to make sure they sound like they are supposed to. Also if you are ABing the samples with an Akai, make sure you are monitoring at the same volume. If the imported samples sound weak, try to increase the amplitude setting, check to see if by any chance the samples have incorrect mapping. Look and make sure the root notes are what they are supposed to be (usually you can reference this with the name of the wav. Also you can check for panning issues. Sometime Akai sound files are divided into split left and right files. If GS imported only one of them then you are getting a mono signal.

Last but not least, you should consider getting a more advanced import app like Chickensys Translator. You will get better results.

Also, take into consideration that the quality of the output from GS is directly related to the audio card that you are using, if the card is cheap, your sounds will be too!

I have had this problem of Giga only bringing in one sample from a stereo pair. How do you then add the other sample of the stereo set?

Making the key zone stereo and then dragging both left and right samples doesn\'t work. Giga refuses to drop any of the files into their slot.

I have had this problem of Giga only bringing in one sample from a stereo pair. How do you then add the other sample of the stereo set?

Making the key zone stereo and then dragging both left and right samples doesn\'t work. Giga refuses to drop any of the files into their slot.

You have to use a separate audio editor to interleave them together. Peak should do it. Cool Edit Pro should also do it.

I had problems with my Akai Mellotron CD ROM - It set the unity note one octave too low, so the samples played back at twice the pitch. After editing the files it sounded great.

Go Back to forum