• Register
  • Help

Topic: An idea for Giga, Halion, Kontakt etc.

Share/Bookmark

An idea for Giga, Halion, Kontakt etc.

Hi everybody,
    When we discusss VSTi versus samplers it often comes to the graphics.

So I thought of a solution:

1) What if Halion (and other samplers) made the GUI open source, so that 3 party developers could make custum made Gui\'s?

It would also bring work to many talented graphic artists and really bring life back to sample libraries.

Sampler developers could concentrate in a stable engine and raw power.

Think about it..

regards

Re: An idea for Giga, Halion, Kontakt etc.

Hi Thomas,

I hear what you\'re saying but I don\'t think that I agree. Typically, graphics means extra cpu cycles. I think that the power should all be contained in the sampler engine itself and less emphasis on the graphics.

Now, having said that, what I would welcome is more thought and effort being put into the interface itself. By that, I don\'t mean how pretty it looks but, rather, how functional it is. Can you access the common editing tools easily and is it easy to edit the samples/programs? Can you easily access the modulation matrix and is it laid-out well so that it is easily understood how to route various modulation sources and destinations?

I have no objection to beautifying the sampler interfaces. However, when you let the talented graphics artists \"go to town\" with it, you may get a pretty interface but a dog in the performance department.

Just MHO,
    FV

I thought Stienberg already offers something like this....Rich

\"What if Halion (and other samplers) made the GUI open source...\"

Then they would lose alot of money from developers who are willing to pay for it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

How about a working environment licensed by developers. Then click \"export to\" VSTi, DXi, RTAS etc?

Originally posted by keytar:
    \"What if Halion (and other samplers) made the GUI open source...\"

Then they would lose alot of money from developers who are willing to pay for it. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Theu would still have their \"own\" GUI that could sell.

3 party developers would just add skins - great if you want to control special details only or want a special look.

Why invent the wheel everytime someone release a new library?

Microsoft still sells XP though you can get many programs with skins to change interface [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And it\'s up to the producer to make sure the GUI doesn\'t slow down app.

I thought stienberg licences there VST model. and then u just add your features and skins. Just like Stylus is based on the Mach 5 UVI engine.

Go Back to forum