• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Upright Pianos????

Share/Bookmark

Upright Pianos????

Is it just me...or is there a severe lack of Upright Pianos in the sample market today??? Why aren\'t developers jumping on this??? Would love to see Mike Post or the guys from Bardstown tackle this! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone know of anything in the works?

JPS

Re: Upright Pianos????

I don\'t know if the one from PC2x is good enough for you, but if it is, I can sure sample it for you. I\'d be using a digital transfer to avoid any quality loss. Transfers would be done in 24 bits, 48khz. Then they\'d be normalized, and finally converted to 16 bit.

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by J.P. Schwinghamer:
    Is it just me...or is there a severe lack of Upright Pianos in the sample market today??? Why aren\'t developers jumping on this??? Would love to see Mike Post or the guys from Bardstown tackle this! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyone know of anything in the works?

JPS
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'m curious, are you looking for a \"clean\" upright piano, or something \"funked-up?\"

The reason I ask is that we have considered sampling an excellent \"tack piano\" that was used on several ZZ Top albums among others, but my take was that the market was rather limited for such a product and it wouldn\'t be worth the effort financially. Perhaps I might reconsider this project if that\'s the kind of sound you\'re seeking and if others are interested in that kind of thing.

I do have an excellent three-layer Jaymar toy upright in the can, but I don\'t think that\'s what you\'re getting at.

Bruce,
    Im looking for a natural warm sounding upright...something recorded and programmed with the same attention to detail that you put into the Imperial!!! (What a beautiful sound that has!) I would absolutely LOVE an upright with the same \'sort\' of timbre as the Malmsjo, but with the same level of complexity as the Grandioso or Imperial!
    And while I am open for anything \'funked\' up...I would imagine...thats something that could be accomodated later...once a beautiful rich upright has been developed...even something generic like a baldwin or kimball...a nice \'living room\' piano! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JPS

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by J.P. Schwinghamer:
    Bruce,

even something generic like a baldwin or kimball...a nice \'living room\' piano! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

JPS
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, I can hear it now...especially with the sound of the television bleeding in from the next room [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Well, i haven\'t responded to the thread because it is so painful for me to talk about it....

About a month ago i had finished the second upright piano in my forthcoming release \"Upright piano collection\".
    The artwork was done was ready to start spreading the good news when disaster struck...

The library consists of 2 upright pianos a Steinway Boston upright and a turn of the century Clinton upright.
    Well... the Steinway had been backed up on cds and was on my Raid Hard drive setup... (see where i\'m heading with this...) Well the Raid setup failed and i lost all the data on the drives and it turns out the backup i made of the Steinway is damaged so i lost all the work and investment in the Steinway, SO... next week they\'re shipping me the Steinway again and will be resampling the $%E@#% piano. The pianos have 4 velocities pedal up and pedal down + a release layer and yes they are done with the same care an attention as the Bos Imperial. The good news is i haven\'t lost the Clinton 1908 upright, so the library should come out in September.

Bruce, if you want, we could join forces and ad in that beautiful tack piano your thinking of sampling, it would then be the ultimate upright piano collection, even if you\'d like all you\'d have to do is sample the piano and i could do all the editing. (If you\'re interested email me) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Either way, i\'d love to have that piano too Bruce, i tried to find a decent one here but it seems that won\'t happen so that\'s why i\'m sticking to the conventional uprights for this release, so expect to see some spamming and demoes by Vintaudio on this in early September.

*Tries to gather the courage to resample, reedit the Steinway upright*

Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Oh and btw, each piano is 2 GIGS in size...
    (And that\'s because of the windows file limitation).

Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.
    www.vintaudio.com

Franky,
    Man...that SUCKS!!! I feel for you....I lost a few gigs that I\'d done when my HD crashed...but man...you were just about done with the entire production...thats just cruel!!!

You have my sympathy!!! Good Luck on the rest of the production...both you and Bruce!

Any chance of a quick \'demo\' of the Clinton being posted??? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    2 GIGS!!!! WOOOO HOOOO!!!!!!
    JPS!!!

I know it is cruel... and financially and time draining.

The rental costs sooo much and the time, omg... all that editing.

*Shivers* [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Franky
    Vintaudio Prod.

Very sorry to hear about the crash and bad back up. Both for your sake and ours: I\'m really looking forward to hearing the Clinton and the Boston uprights.

Do you have any recordings of the samples that you could post?

Go Back to forum