• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Your composing techniques? (mp3 just posted!)

Share/Bookmark

Your composing techniques? (mp3 just posted!)

*** EDIT: Here is the piece in question: http://www.alanjoseph.com/redemption_beta.mp3 ***

I am currently working on a new track, a piano piece. I woke up from a dead sleep two nights ago with the first 45 secs of it in my head, I quickly notated it on my DAW before falling back asleep...

I\'ve been playing with the piece over the last two days because I really like the begining, but don\'t know where to go with it...

Should I wait and see if late night inspiration should strike again? or do I compose the rest \"by the book\" making it technically profician, but uninspired?

How do you guys begin and, ultimately, finish your pieces?

There is a lot of talent on these boards and I\'m trying to learn as fast as I can...

Re: Your composing techniques? (mp3 just posted!)

You can transpose your first 45 secs. It is possible you feels more movements, extrapolations. You can also modulate the same part with Counterpoint.

Just suggestions !

Do not give up!

-Benny

As you listen and the piece ends, try extending it in your mind and possibly sing or hum more information into a mini-recorder or just your PC... notate that and move on. Just another suggestion, I\'m sure you\'ll find your own habits!

Alan, I wouldn\'t wait for inspiration - in my personal experience, most of my favourite ideas have come through persistence and trying to make myself inspired! Normally if I have the basis for a good composition (say, a theme or harmonic structure) and I don\'t know where to take it, I turn to theory (transposition, etc. just as Benny has said). Hope this helps, Doug.

Alan, what did you come up with exactly? Is it a melody, or a series of chords/harmony? If it\'s a melody, I would suggest:

1. Break it up into fragments, and explore these as ostinati
    2. Play it backwards and see if something strikes you
    3. Simplify it by taking out some notes
    4. Change the accents
    5. If it has \'holes\' in it, fill them in with counterpoint, then play the counterpoint alone and see if it can be the basis for a contrasting section to follow
    6. Play it at half time
    7. Change the accents
    8. Sing it when you\'re not in front of the piano and see if another line \'pops\' into your head when you end it

Hope these tips are helpful!

Ned: \"Alan, what did you come up with exactly? Is it a melody, or a series of chords/harmony?\"

It is a full melody/chord change. It is complete, it was in my head, it seems to rise and build towards the end, then dies, I can\'t \"see\" what it builds to, I will post a clip tomorrow if you guys are interested...

\"ostinati\"

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone define this? I\'ve haven\'t taken any theory classes yet.

Thanks everyone for you input, I will use these tonight after school and see if anything works...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Alan,

Ostinati...plural of Ostinato, which would be a short repeated motive. An ostinato can be as simple as a one note repeated pedal point, or a four-note \"loop.\"

The main thrust of what Ned is saying is that deconstructing what you have put into the piece so far, and using that material as the basis for development, is what will propel you through the overall composing process.

Definitely get into some theory and composition courses, since you\'re already in school anyway. That\'s where you\'ll learn all the devices and \"tricks\" to unlock your creativity. Waiting for inspiration to hit is usually not considered a composition technique, haha...

You might find it helpful to literally have a \'list\' of variation techniques. Have a look at

http://empresa.portoweb.com.br/compor/TecVart.htm

also Schoenbergs \"Fundamental of Musical Composition\'

Brett

Thanks Brett and Bruce!

Hopefully these will help, I will be home in a few hours and give it a go...

Originally posted by Brett Rosenberg:
    You might find it helpful to literally have a \'list\' of variation techniques. Have a look at

http://empresa.portoweb.com.br/compor/TecVart.htm

also Schoenbergs \"Fundamental of Musical Composition\'

Brett
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey , this is a brazilian link [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . You are more aware than me [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] !!!
    \"Fundamental of Musical Composition\" is a great book but a bit brainy!!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast