• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question to developers about file size limit

Share/Bookmark

Question to developers about file size limit

Hi everyone ! I did a quick search on the forum and found that the Windows 2GBytes file size limit is often refered to when talking about split samples gig files.

However this limit is aging now since FAT16 and Win95. Commonly this limit has been raised to about 4GBytes in FAT32 and NTFS.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Can someone share the knowledge please ? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Jean-Guy

Re: Question to developers about file size limit

Originally posted by jgsirac:
    Hi everyone ! I did a quick search on the forum and found that the Windows 2GBytes file size limit is often refered to when talking about split samples gig files.

However this limit is aging now since FAT16 and Win95. Commonly this limit has been raised to about 4GBytes in FAT32 and NTFS.

http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Can someone share the knowledge please ? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Jean-Guy
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi.

The filesize in NTFS is only limited to the size of your harddisk!
    I guess one reason why we developers stick to FAT is because many DAW\'s run FAT and FAT files can be read on both FAT and NTFS, where NTSF can\'t be read on FAT systems.
    However, I\'m seriously thinking about making NTSF versions.

Re: Question to developers about file size limit

Thanks Worra, I was wondering if I got something wrong ! There are certainly good reasons to stick with FAT16 but NTFS is way better ...

Maybe a 6Gbytes file for the Black Grand ? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Jean-Guy

Go Back to forum