• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Legal to sample a hardware synth, then to sell?

Share/Bookmark

Legal to sample a hardware synth, then to sell?

I have a Kurzweil PC2x. The piano sounds are pretty good. I was wondering if it\'s legal to sample those, and then to sell the samples.

Thanks

Re: Legal to sample a hardware synth, then to sell?

Hehe, of course it\'s not legal.

Hi there,

I think it depends on what patches or programs you sample. If you have programmed them yourself, you should be able to sample and sell them. But don\'t take my word for it, just in case...

Ruben

That\'s a shame. You see, I wanted to sample that thing anyway, to teach myself how to create instruments. But then I thought it\'d take too much of my effort to just do it \"like that.\"

Hi there,

I think it depends on what patches or programs you sample. If you have programmed them yourself, you should be able to sample and sell them. But don\'t take my word for it, just in case...

Ruben
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well the Kurtz Pianos are made from samples themselves, so samplign it again and redistributing would pretty much be illegal. I dotn know if anywhere in the instruction booklet there is a liscence for using the sounds... but It would *probably* hold up in court either way

Now a *REAL* analog synth that doesn\'t use PCM data to create sounds is a different story.

That\'s a shame. You see, I wanted to sample that thing anyway, to teach myself how to create instruments. But then I thought it\'d take too much of my effort to just do it \"like that.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">you should do it to teach yourself about instrument building in the giga editor. It will also save you a channel on the Kurtz.

Theres a samplecd serie called synthline with samples from all synths. It sounds like they have sampled the presets of them.. they even kept the effects.. not so smart to sample sounds with delay. Anyway, i think the url is www.nicebeats.de

/Tobias

Well, there was a time when none of the synth manufacturers worried anout it, and everyone and his dog released floppies and cds of factory sounds, but I think that time has come and gone. I wouldn\'t want to be the one putting MY name to a cd full of the latest Yamaha S90 factory presets.

Hi,

What you say is really surprising, and good news [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    If I get around to do it, I\'d like to learn how to create a giga instrument with my FS1R, so it\'s good news that I could share the .gig file freely when I get down without worrying about the feds knocking down the door of my home.

Ruben

Originally posted by KingIdiot:

Now a *REAL* analog synth that doesn\'t use PCM data to create sounds is a different story.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi,

King, do you mean that a real analog synth doesn\'t have presets? I\'m only familiar with a couple of newer Yamaha digital synths with factory presets. For example, did the Yamaha CS80 (the one used in Blade Runner by Vangelis to create that breathtaking lead sound) have any factory presets? Or did it come to the user as a blank slate?

Also, what if you take a factory bank and just modify a tad of any parameter so as to keep the original sound or just modify it slightly? Then are you in the clear? Probably not, I guess then it is a derivative work. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Perhaps another section on this board could be started called LEGAL ISSUES... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Ruben

No, I mean that real analog synths dont use PCM/Wave data as the basis of their sound creation. They use electronics to generate simple waveforms (that cant be under copyright). Its similar to the idea that a guitar makes a \"simple\" analog sound.

Presets could be sampled no problem I\'m sure. Now NAMING the sampled instrument the same as the preset is a different story [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . As Names can be under copyright.

This doesn\'t mean Synth manufacturers like this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum