• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO/Sibelius Demo. Mozart mockup

Share/Bookmark

GPO/Sibelius Demo. Mozart mockup

Mozart\'s Serenade no. 10, \"Gran Partita\" for woodwind ensemble. This is movement 7.

It\'s my first attempt at a mockup. I used GPO Studio played by Sibelius. No sequencer. What do you think?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/atyemusic.htm

Re: GPO/Sibelius Demo. Mozart mockup

Hey, this is something I\'ve been looking for - a piece in a notation program running GPO. Can someone post a piece that makes use of more than just the woodwind section? I\'m really curious to see how GPO sounds with a full orchestral arrangement in Sibelius, Finale, ect.

Sounds pretty good, maybe a little more control of the dynamics to give it more expression.

Aaron,

I\'m working on Pavane by Faure. I hope to have it done by next week sometime. I\'m doing it in Overture with GPO.

-- Martin

Originally posted by Jaibulu:
    Sounds pretty good, maybe a little more control of the dynamics to give it more expression.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks! I\'m experimenting with mod wheel text inputs in Sibelius to simulate dynamic changes. Any other ideas?

Andy,

You are off to a good start! And good writing in Sibelius. Sometimes it is difficult to get the same expression in notation programs as one does in sequencers, but it can be done.

Notation programs often quantize and run at the same tempo. It may help to vary the tempo and offset the notes by a few milliseconds for the various parts. Also, as Jaibulu suggestion, some expression would help. Try assigning the mod wheel controller to provide dynamics and putting in legato mode data for a smoother connection between notes.

Something else you may want to consider. Try exporting to a MIDI file, do some of these mods in a sequencer (like the Cubasis in GPO), and importing it back into Sibelius. It may be quicker and easier to do this.

MIDI Orchestration is an art that takes skill and practice. Keep up the good work. Let me know if we can help in any way.

Gary Garritan

Sounds good to me!

I learned how to use mod wheel text, but is there text for legato control? Are there any other control texts I can enter into Sibelius 3? I have yet to do much with Cubasis, but it\'s probably time.

Thanks for the suggestions. I\'m loving this stuff!

Andy Tye

Stunning!

The legato function is controlled by the pedal. Use ~C64,127 to turn it on and ~C64,0 to turn it off.

Ideally the pedal is pressed during the middle of the first note of the phrase and lifted in the middle of the last. Sibelius send the MIDI messages before the NoteOn events though, so it\'s not ideal.

The workaround is to add a second voice. If the first note of the phrase is an eighth note, make the second voice use 16th rests. Then attach the MIDI message to the second rest. It\'s a PITA, but the result will be exactly what GPO wants for legato. You can hide the rests of the 2nd voice, so the score will still print nicely.

If you have Sibelius 3 you can adjust the attacks by selecting all of the notes and turning on Live Velocity in the Live Playback property box. Set the velocity high for strong attacks and low for weak attacks.

For expression control you can add ~C0,xxx text for the various notes, but you\'re probably better off sending the MIDI to the sequencer. Sibelius can do note to note dynamics, but not intra-note dynamics. You can either draw the mod-wheel envelope with the mouse, or record it being played from a fader on your MIDI keyboard. I like recording it with the keyboard, and then just touching up things that aren\'t just right with the mouse. The results will be better than what you can get with Sibelius alone, and the process is generally faster.

One nice thing is that you can print the score in parts with all of the dynamic markings, so when you record yourself doing the fader performance, you\'ve got a nice script to work from.

Nice dynamics will add more to the result than any other aspect.

Have fun!

Originally posted by mschiff:
    Aaron,

I\'m working on Pavane by Faure. I hope to have it done by next week sometime. I\'m doing it in Overture with GPO.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Martin,

Please take your time on the Faure; please don\'t rush to finish it. That\'s one of my desert-island pieces, easily in my top five.

But I will be looking forward to hearing it.

Greg

Go Back to forum