• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting that Sun Studios\Memphis reverb? Elvis?

Share/Bookmark

Getting that Sun Studios\\Memphis reverb? Elvis?

Has anyone had success in emulating the strong, intentionally artificial (plate?) reverb found on the early Elvis\\rockabilly\\Sun Studio albums?

I read recently that their method involved chilling the plate in the reverb unit. (I\'m not sure what this would do. Would it decrease the rate at which the sound waves bounced off the plate or increase it?)

I saw the recent discusssion here about using EQ with reverb, but no one mentioned the king.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Getting that Sun Studios\\Memphis reverb? Elvis?

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    Has anyone had success in emulating the strong, intentionally artificial (plate?) reverb found on the early Elvis\\rockabilly\\Sun Studio albums?

I read recently that their method involved chilling the plate in the reverb unit. (I\'m not sure what this would do. Would it decrease the rate at which the sound waves bounced off the plate or increase it?)

I saw the recent discusssion here about using EQ with reverb, but no one mentioned the king.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Jake,

\"Elvis\" reverb is what engineers call slapback. The best way to emulate it is with a simple delay and some virtual plate reverb over the top.

Sometimes delay is really preferable to reverb on instruments in a pop mix, since it allows a person to set up a virtual \"wall echo\" and establish a \"size\" for a track without clogging the airspace with typical reverb reflection.

I\'ve never heard that specific story about chilling a plate. Interesting.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Jake Johnson:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Jake,

\"Elvis\" reverb is what engineers call slapback. The best way to emulate it is with a simple delay and some virtual plate reverb over the top.

Sometimes delay is really preferable to reverb on instruments in a pop mix, since it allows a person to set up a virtual \"wall echo\" and establish a \"size\" for a track without clogging the airspace with typical reverb reflection.

I\'ve never heard that specific story about chilling a plate. Interesting.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

Whoops! That was brilliant. I pushed the wrong button. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Anyways, in answer to your question, I have a Lexicon Mpx 500, it has a preset called \"large and Bright plate\" that works like this. It works best when you send the first channel only, i.e., on my track I send it out to s/pdif 1 and return a stereo pair of course. This sends the signal to the left channel on the MPX-500.

Rick

Hi!

Bruce is right; I think you\'re referring to delay, and a slap delay in this case. It usually only has a few echoes (2 or 3) and a very short delay time (25-100 msec).
    The best tool I\'ve heard for this is Bombfactory\'s Tel-Ray delay for Protools LE and TDM.
    I think you\'ll find it does exactly what you\'re looking for (Moogerfooger analog delay comes a close second)...

Cheers,

Joris

Originally posted by Joris de Man:
    Hi!

Bruce is right; I think you\'re referring to delay, and a slap delay in this case. It usually only has a few echoes (2 or 3) and a very short delay time (25-100 msec).
    The best tool I\'ve heard for this is Bombfactory\'s Tel-Ray delay for Protools LE and TDM.
    I think you\'ll find it does exactly what you\'re looking for (Moogerfooger analog delay comes a close second)...

Cheers,

Joris
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hmmm, I know about the slap delay, but i didn\'t like the effect I got when i tried that. I was really happy with the large and bright plate reverb, I would like to hear a comparison of the two.

Rick

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Well, it\'s not for everything by any means...but the classic \"Elvis/rockabilly\" reverb is definitely slapback. Pre-delaying a plate is another variant. You want that \"bounce\" in the track one way or another to emulate the rockabilly schtick.

Go Back to forum