• Register
  • Help

Topic: Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Pas de Trois

Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Pas de Trois

And here is the final version of the "Pas de Trois" (6), together with the other dances. The last one is the Carmagnole (Allegretto).

Pas de Trois

Re: Grétry, La Rosière Républicaine, Pas de Trois

Excellent. Combination of instruments and the balance is much better than before. One more to go.... just waiting and then Grétry goes CD, or not?

Hello Max! I missed your last thread, so I decided to just post on this one. Maybe I'm just biased towards moodier stuff, but this is my favorite dance so far!

The rendering is wonderful, very realistic. Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

I love the mood of this piece, thanks so much!

Back in college I snagged a 1990 Berling Chamber orchestra recording of this for $1 at a discount store. What a steal! I almost felt guilty after listening to it for the first time. I started using the Danse Général and Pas de Trois as warm up pieces for flute practice afterward.

I'm actually quite surprised to hear that Grétry works are really that obscure. Then again, this is the only work I'm familiar with. You'll have to recommend some additional works of his.

Anyhow, thanks for bringing back some memories with this treatment of my old friends.

Hi Daniel,

Vielen Dank fürs Zuhören...

I'm glad to learn that you too are a flute player.

In Belgium (and I assume all over the world), Grétry is not a 'famous' composer. He had to live in the shadow of the classical giants, but was at his time a popular opera writer. He has written quite a number of comic operas. The ballet music is somewhat strange: I studied the entire opera score and only the Danse Générale and the Carmagnole (last dance) are part of the score. The rest doesn't even occur by any reference. The scores I've used were published by Schott in Mainz. I couldn't trace any manuscript of them. (Were they some kind of entr'acte added many years later? And who did write them?)
    And the Danse Générale is not about a dancing general (LOL), but the main dance of the opera (that's why it is in the score, where the villagers dance to their acquired liberty).

Thanks for passing by.

Go Back to forum