• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What instrument is this?

Share/Bookmark

Re: What instrument is this?

Sounds like an erhu, a chinese two string version of a violin/fiddle. And Brady\'s right...that isn\'t sampled.
    -Hudson

Hudson, is that anything like that funky instrument with the crank that Sting played at the Oscars? Now that was a funky instrument and I couldn\'t quite figure out how he was actually playing it. I saw that the crank turned a disk which appeared to function as a sort of never-ending-bow stroke, but I didn\'t see how he was actually playing the notes. I saw one hand moving from time to time at the other end of it, but I couldn\'t make out any kind of controls.

Anyway, thanks for the tip. I\'ll look into the Erhu. Now if only someone could come up with an easy way to be this expressive with sampled instruments! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I believe Sting played a Hurdy Gurdy at the Oscars though I\'m not sure as I didn\'t see them myself. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

What instrument is this?

Here\'s a demo from Garritan\'s site. It\'s very tender and very beautiful. But I cannot identify this instrument. It sounds like a combination of a violin and a flute or something:

http://www.garritan.com/mp3/Trust.mp3

If this instrument is sampled, I\'ve GOT to have it! It is VERY expressive and intimate!

Thanks!

Well, after checking out Drew Tretick\'s home page, I\'m guessing this is a live-performed instrument. And judging from the pictures on his site, it appears to be some kind of funky-looking violin?

I just spoke with Drew and asked him about this unique sounding instrument. The main instrument you hear is a custom-made electronic violin. This violin was developed by Drew and is a one-of-a-kind instrument.

Gary Garritan

It sounds good at times, but it sounds like a synth much of the time.

Originally posted by greatzed:
    It sounds good at times, but it sounds like a synth much of the time.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It sounds synth because it is a synth violin. It is not supposed to sound like a natural violin. Drew\'s violin is MIDI capable and can play back sample libraries. Imagine tuba from a violin?

There are other demos of Drew playing a normal violin on the www.garritan.com web page. Drew Tretick is an amazing musician. He holds degrees from Julliard; taught at Berklee, has performed at venues around the world including Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center, has performed in television productions; has played with well-known performers, and is one of the best violinists I have the good fortune to know. Drew\'s website is at : http://www.goviolin.com/index.htm

Gary Garritan
    www.garritan.com

wow!!! this instrument sounds amazing...i wish he could sample it all, it will be amazing to play around with...

Ahhh, it\'s so nice to be back in the shire.

Go Back to forum