• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sample usage limitations...

Share/Bookmark

Sample usage limitations...

Hello fellow Giga fiends...

Are there any sample libraries with licenses that specifically deny the use of their sounds in music that will be part of stock music compilations?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Sample usage limitations...

Originally posted by EviLjuaN:
    Hello fellow Giga fiends...

Are there any sample libraries with licenses that specifically deny the use of their sounds in music that will be part of stock music compilations?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I have never seen one. You are in the clear as long as you are using the samples in musical compositions. Where you would be in trouble is redistributing the samples themselves as samples...as in taking a loop from Metamorphosis and releasing it as a part of \"My Killer Loop Collection.\"

Well, you can\'t use Nicks VOTA library in music directly for movie trailers. Oh wells.

music libraries?

Voices of the appocolypse cannot be used for this purpose.

nor can QL56 strat

However these are probably only the most recent and public (on NS) cases

Perc Adventures has a few different liscencing issues

I\'d consider asking publically about the liscencing agreement about the library you are looking to purchase, and even ask teh distributer to send you off a copy of the agreement before you buy to make sure.

According to the Prosonus Orchestral\'s license from BFA, the library cannot be used for music libraries.

You sure it\'s music libraries, as opposed to sample libraries.

I understand totally about not re-using someone else\'s drum sounds to make your own drum loop library - that\'s fine. I even understand Nick wanting to protect his livelihood by doing his libraries and asking that they not be used in competition with him on trailers. But if it\'s noe the case that developers are saying that their samples can\'t be used to write generic music library material like \'music for the outback\' or \'intense urban energy\', then we\'re starting to see some serious limitations on what purchasers can actually DO with their samples.

What a pain to be about to do a library music album and then have to search through all your sounds to see which ones you can and can\'t use. Sheesh!

I have to ask why? How can it hurt the Prosonus guys to have their harp used on some new age library album?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    I have to ask why? How can it hurt the Prosonus guys to have their harp used on some new age library album?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It can\'t, of course. That would just be a very short-sighted licensing agreement.

Frankly, I wouldn\'t give it a second thought. Write music, sell it any way you can, and just try not to purchase libraries which have restricted use agreements...and if you\'re afraid that a project may be questionable, just give the producer a call. I have never had a bit of trouble in that regard. For instance, some libraries have a crediting requirement. But in reality, when a project is not \"yours\" securing credits can be impossible. Just talk to the producer of the library...simply communicating the difficulty is usually enough to get a greenlight.

I agree this is getting awfully complex, and the best thing would be for producers to perhaps reconsider licensing agreements which specify uses and credits...or set up a multi-tier licensing scheme that would allow a person to pay a little more for an absolutely unrestricted license.

Thanks so much for the input guys. Much appreciated.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum