• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: My Giga buddies... need some advice!

My Giga buddies... need some advice!

No help over at the digi user forum [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Sorry to have strayed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I know I will have better results with my Giga buddies [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Set up help for small project studio.

Digi 002 with...

Power Mac G4/800
    PowerPC G4 800 MHz Processor, 256MB RAM, 40GB Hard Drive, 24X10X32 CD-RW Drive

and feeding the 002 for larger projects, i.e. bands/live drummer with... Behringer MX9000 Eurodesk Mixer.
    (24-channel, 8 bus recording console/24 tape monitor inputs/dedicated EQ mutes.)

I will be employing my Giga setup to this system via digital in...

Gigastudio 160 setup.
    HP running WindowsME
    P3 975mhz
    512 ram
    HD 1 for system 10 gig
    HD 2 for mastering audio 60 gig (Wavelab)
    HD 3 for Giga samples 80 gig USB2.0

I use an older Mac running an 888x2 Pro Tools rig every day at work but I am not up on \"newer\" Macs LOL...

Q1. Mac or Windows?
    Q2. Are Mac accessories about the same $$$ as Windows? i.e. external firewire drives?
    Q3. 001 or 002?
    Q4. Is firewire(002) as good as PCI(001)

Thanks all. Sorry for the mess....my head is spinning [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Francis Belardino
    Producer/Sound Designer

Re: My Giga buddies... need some advice!

For Pro Tools I would reccomend a Mac. Believe me now, thank me later!

Between the Digi 001 or 002 it really depends on your uses and needs. I would go with the 002 if you have the cash, it\'s got more capabilities and you can use it as a controller too!

Mac and PC peripherals generally tend to be priced the same (with a few exceptions) generally ATA and Firewire drives are interchangeable.

Between PCI and Firewire, I would pick Firewire if it\'s true Firewire (ie. not IDE with a Firewire plug). It\'s a newer technology than PCI and will be less susceptible to those annoying PCI master clock issues!

Oh, you rock!!

Thanks for your input. I am on the same page as you but sometimes, when you\'re about to drop $$$, it\'s always good to get that second opinion.

Thanks again.

Any thoughts on the mixing console?

Behringer is not famous as one of the better hardware producers. They offer a LOT of bang for the buck, but I personally don\'t trust them to live up to the needs of professional production (as in: project level studio requiring totally clean audio for industry-level distribution-CDs, national commercials, etc.)

Mackie makes an excellent line of small-room consoles, the new Yamaha boards look pretty good, etc.

Much depends on the kind of production process you require or can live with. IMHO it\'s better to have 16 channels of high-quality audio with 4 busses and 3-band EQ rather than 24 channels of medium-quality audio with 4-band sweep EQ and 8 busses. YOu can do more with the 8-buss console, but it won\'t sound as good-and you can add additional submixers as needs dictate.

Think carefully about your work flow processes, if you can get by with fewer channels, go for the higher quality.

Hope this doesn\'t make it more difficult... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Francis, go with the Mac version of Pro Tools. I will add that you will need much more ram to run plug-ins effectively.

Digi 001 or 002? Depends on how soon you need it, as the 002 is not yet shipping as far as I know.

I run both Pro Tools and Logic Audio on the Mac, but not together. My thinking right now is that I use Logic for music so much more than Pro tools, which I use for Sound effects design and dialogue editing, that I am looking more at Logic\'s Pro Control.

I\'m not sure that I would go for the 002. Certainly not in it\'s first release. That\'s just me. I\'m always cautious about new products. Plus, Firewire interfaces concern me regarding latency. If you are multi-tracking, things can get hairy. If you can wait until the product actually has a track record, then do so. Maybe the 002 will be the way to go.

As far as Firewire drives, Glyph now makes a very cool one. It looks like didgidesign\'s Mbox and has a feature that keeps the fan OFF until the drive heats up. It is the quietest drive out there.

I use one at work, and the fan has yet to go on. Other firewire drives can be very, very noisy. The Glyph drive that looks like the Digi 001 should be avoided at all costs. It is the noisiest drive I\'ve ever worked with.

Your desk is a problem that you ought to solve. Behringer won\'t cut it for pro productions.

All great words of wisdom, guys [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I had a feeling about the console...$1,300.00...thought that seemed a bit low...now, I know why. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Any more thoughts always welcomed [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again

Thanks, Bruce.

I have to admit, everything you are saying \"not\" to use it for is what I had intended using for... LOL

Gotta go Mackie I guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey, I almost went with a Mackie too until I started reading all the negative comments about their lower end products. If you can afford top of the line Mackie go for it, but I suggest you take a serious look at the SoundCraft mixers. I went with a Spirit M12, SPDIF into my sound card is sweet. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Originally posted by Francis Belardino:
    Thanks, Bruce.

I have to admit, everything you are saying \"not\" to use it for is what I had intended using for... LOL

Gotta go Mackie I guess [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If you do, make sure you get a model with the VLZ-Pro preamps. Otherwise, it\'s just a step up from the Behringer, not really suitable. On the other hand, if your monitoring/talkback systems are covered, maybe you might consider investing that money in a couple of nice mic preamps? Food for thought, at any rate...

Wanted to add...

I would be using this console for a personal project studio NOT the studio I work for ($120.00 per hour)So, with that said... still feel the same way? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum