• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bruce - Routing external verb

Share/Bookmark

Bruce - Routing external verb

Bruce-

Sorry for this request. But could you run through this outboard 330 SRV routing (sends /returns). As I am a newbie to this, I am not sure.

I use a Tango A/D converter.

Also, do I have to run an \'extra reverb\' track for every track I want this effect on?

I sure appreciate it!

Re: Bruce - Routing external verb

Also, do I have to run an \'extra reverb\' track for every track I want this effect on?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Aux busses. Read all about \'em.

By the way, this is not really a \"sample library discussion topic\" is it?

Kevin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Rob Elliott:
    Bruce-

Sorry for this request. But could you run through this outboard 330 SRV routing (sends /returns). As I am a newbie to this, I am not sure.

I use a Tango A/D converter.

I sure appreciate it!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No problem, man.

You can go about it several different ways.

You could run an \"extra reverb\" track for every track you want to utilize the SRV-330. That\'s a lot of tracks, but then again, a modern computer can play back so many tracks it wouldn\'t be an issue. In this case, you\'d get your Giga tracks rendered to disk and into your sequencer project, solo the track and feed it into the SRV-330, then take the 100% wet output and route it back into the system, recording the track. Pump everything up so the signal going into the SRV-330 is nice and hot, and you\'re getting maximum signal to noise ratio. Then, once you\'ve recorded this reverb track, just blend it into the overall mix. Rinse and repeat.

You could also group several instruments you\'d like to image through the same reverb setting, and have fewer discrete \"reverb tracks.\" While you give up a little control this way, you don\'t have so many reverb tracks to produce or contend with in your mix.

The low tech method is just what you\'re doing now, I\'m assuming, which is monitoring your entire mix through the SRV-330. A little more sophisticated way to do this would be to break your outputs into multiple outs on your soundcard, so that you can vary the feed of the instruments into the reverb, using your mixer\'s aux buss. Then, route that aux buss into one of your soundcard inputs and record the resulting reverb track.

If you\'re a beginner at this, one of the very best things to do for yourself is to check out all the audio mixing sites on the web, books, anything you can get your hands on, and learn the basic ropes of engineering. Beyond the steps I\'ve given you, breaking it down any more would mean writing a whole book here myself, and I\'m not quite up to it right now, haha.

Good luck. We have lots of articles at ProRec.com on the basics of mixing which may be helpful to you.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Thanks, Bruce. I appreciate the information. Since I have multiple \'Vln/Viola,Cello...\" tracks playing as a section, I will run those tracks AS A GROUP into the 330. Following that logic, I shouldn\'t really be \'doubling\' my number of tracks to record the 330 on the remaining instrument sections.

Excellent idea (I love it when a light goes on in my noggin). Again thanks for the tutorial.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You\'re welcome.

Hope you\'re not too close to the fires...

Go Back to forum