• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bruce? Mic pre's...

Share/Bookmark

Bruce? Mic pre\'s...

Hi Bruce,

As per our conversation earlier...

I have decided, at the very least, to give the Behringer MX9000 a test drive. I have a friend at Sam Ash Music that will set it up in a private room for me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

killer features and a great looking meter bridge but, if the sound is bad who cares about the rest?

My question is about mic pre\'s. You feel the mic pre\'s on the MX9000 are not worthy of mid level project recording?

Also, any thoughts about the mic pre\'s housed within the Digi002?

If I WAS to go with the MX9000 and the Digi002:

Would you suggest adding a rack unit type set of mic pre\'s? If so, how would you set this up?

Bypass the MX9000 and Digi002 and run (let\'s say a vocal recording) directly into the Digi002?

Thanks for your time

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Bruce? Mic pre\'s...

Hi Francis,

Yes, I\'d say they\'re a bit sketchy. I can sure hear the difference between them and my better mic pres, a big obvious difference. I\'d describe the phenomenon as similar to a dirty window compared to a sparkling clean one. You can still see out, and you might not even notice the dirty window if not for the juxtaposition of the clean one.

Different mic pres really spice up the recording process, too. They\'re almost as different from one another as different brands and models of microphones. We have a good mic preamp shootout article online at www.prorec.com if you ever want to check that out. Rip Rowan wrote it, and his grasp of mics and preamps is excellent. There are several mid-priced preamps in the bunch.

Good luck with it, whatever the verdict.

Best regards,
    Bruce

I agree and understand the need for mic pre\'s [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    My question was more on how to use them in this setup.

Thanks much [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

\"Also, any thoughts about the mic pre\'s housed within the Digi002?

If I WAS to go with the MX9000 and the Digi002:

Would you suggest adding a rack unit type set of mic pre\'s? If so, how would you set this up?

Bypass the MX9000 and Digi002 and run (let\'s say a vocal recording) directly into the Digi002?

Thanks for your time\"

I\'ve just begun using a HV-3B from Millenia Music & Media system (http://www.mil-media.com) and the dirty/clean windows that Bruce is talking about really, really makes sense to me now!
    The HV-3B is just fantastic and it\'s a joy working with it, (and no, they don\'t pay me for saying this...: [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Talk about clean windows, clear day, and a fresh pair of contact lenses!

Go Back to forum