• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Soundforge or Peak for sample/audio editing?

Share/Bookmark

Soundforge or Peak for sample/audio editing?

Hey guys -

My main machine is a G5, with a few pc\'s for music. I have the opportunity to get a new alienware laptop for games/fun/etc., and I thought about also putting soundforge on there for audio work. However, I realize that there is also Peak for the mac.

Is there any reason you would prefer one over the other? Obviously with Peak I can work on my mac and not move files to a laptop, but I don\'t want that to be the only deciding factor.

Thank you!

Eric Doggett

Re: Soundforge or Peak for sample/audio editing?

Thanks guys -

You know, looking at the specs of soundforge, I don\'t see anything that says that it supports more than one track - so it doesn\'t appear to allow creation of sound effects/etc., because you are limited to just one stereo file at a time. Is this true?

Thanks,

Eric

\"Is this true?\"

It\'s not a multitrack, if that\'s what you\'re asking? It allows more than one stereo track to be open at once so you can cut-and-paste between the two, but you can only have one working stereo track at a time (at least in v6, they might have changed that with the lastest upgrades).

I believe WaveLab is the same, but I\'ve never used it, so I can\'t tell you for sure.

What do you mean by soundFX? You can surely manipulate the audio in SF beyond recognition...

Alan - thanks - I was just adding that I do sound design as well (sometimes for film/games), so a portable multitrack solution would be good when I don\'t always have access to Logic on the mac..

Eric

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Then you want Vegas, I\'d think. It may make you hate Logic, though.

Wavelab has a Montage mode that allows you to mix multiple tracks.

Honestly Vegas is the best Audio Multi-track mixing interface I\'ve used, with regards to splitting/editing/mixing tracks for sound design.

However if you dont have a PC two track editor, you should pick up wavelab, so you atleast have VERY good two track editor that can also do some multi tracking.

pick up Vegas later.

and get QuicKeys if you\'re planning on doing LOTs of editing of smples.

teh auto split feature in Wavelab is more accurate than Sound Forges Region splitter, and there are a TON more options when splitting. (like naming splits to a list from a text/clipboard document)

Plus you can share marker data for multiple tracks if you are doing multiple mics for phase accurate splitting.

Hey Eric,

I\'ve only used SoundForge so I can only speak for it... SF has handled a lot of wav editing for me over the past couple of years, and has done so beautifully. It\'s very easy to learn, very powerful, and very flexible.

I haven\'t updated my version because Cubase SX has taken over as my wav editor and it just didn\'t make economical sense seeing how I don\'t have to do much batch-processing.

wavelab is better for sample editing IMO

in fact any developer that doesnt ahe Vegas and Wavelab, and Quickeys is really making it 10x harder on themselves.

Sonar + Sound Forge plugins = PERFECT

Install both, run Sonar, and use the SF plugins THROUGH Sonar. That\'s all you need man! The power of Sound Forge combined with the multi-tracking of Sonar! Presto! I use it all the time!

Jared [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Eric Doggett:
    Hey guys -

My main machine is a G5, with a few pc\'s for music. I have the opportunity to get a new alienware laptop for games/fun/etc., and I thought about also putting soundforge on there for audio work. However, I realize that there is also Peak for the mac.

Is there any reason you would prefer one over the other? Obviously with Peak I can work on my mac and not move files to a laptop, but I don\'t want that to be the only deciding factor.

Thank you!

Eric Doggett
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The ENTIRE VSL library was and is recorded and edited using Samplitude/Sequoia from Magix Entertainment.

While the article on our web site promotes our systems, too, it also goes into great detail about the programs with a link to download a trial version.

http://www.truespec.com/computersystems/samplitude/index.shtml

A crossgrade offer is still available from Synthaxe (their North American distributor) to let you get it for $450 (vs. $1250 list) which any US dealer can make available (this is NOT a shameless plug for ourselves! Samplitude is a killer program, it just won an award from Mix I believe, but it has the worst marketing of any program I\'ve ever seen.).

Go Back to forum