• Register
  • Help

Topic: Washboard

Share/Bookmark

Washboard

A software question:

I am currently scoring a musical named "The Red River Bar and Mortuary." I want to use the washboard listed under "Folk" in Garritan World. However, when I select it, an instrument named Guiro appears instead, which could certainly be substituted for a washboard, but it won't play.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Re: Washboard

The washboard (not a musical instrument) is constructed from ribbed wood or galvanized steel in a wood frame. The guiro is probably was adapted from this housewifely tool. The sound coming out from the guiro should be very similar to the sound as we, kids, pulled a stick over the washboard. Of course, because the guiro is usually a hollow, ribbed instrument, it would sound better than a washboard.
    Suggest to use the guiro in your work and if you feel the need for it, distort the sound it a little.
    Good luck, sounds interesting!

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    ... I want to use the washboard listed under "Folk" in Garritan World. However, when I select it, an instrument named Guiro appears instead, which could certainly be substituted for a washboard, but it won't play...
    I guess this must be in a Garritan instrument collection for Finale? In the full World, the washboard is definitely a washboard. It's found in World>Percussion>North America. There isn't any "Folk" category in the full World menu.

Ted is right, that the guiro sounds something like washboard, but these are distinctly different instruments and sample sets in Garritan. The washboard has about an octave of samples, different strokes and hits - difficult to have it play characteristically, but with some effort, that could be possible.

So, I'm guessing that what I've said is right - that you're talking about a different sample set than I have. But it sounds to me like an error that you're getting a guiro instead of a washboard, as if they set up the wrong instrument in the programming--? -

As for not hearing what you've loaded - be sure to look at the ARIA interface to quickly see where the notes for a given percussion instrument are. They can be difficult to discover at times, since they will be in such a narrow range of keys and sometimes just on a single key.

Randy

I just checked this out and got the same results as Tom.

This is yet another Finale Score Manager/perc. map screwup. On my system, choosing washboard doesn't load any sample set into Aria. If you manually load, it still doesn't play. Looking closer, the MIDI notes for that instrument start at C2 and go to F#3, giving different articulations for each note. If you load a blank staff with bass clef, manually assign it to Aria and manually load the washboard sample set, it will then play properly. You may want to make a regular percussion staff for printing and hide the one that sounds.

\Begin rant!
    I use Finale 2012 every day, pretty much full time doing transcriptions of classical orchestra pieces for much the same reason that SysExJohn does. I find that I am becoming more and more frustrated with Finale. Accurate playback is very important for my purposes and Finale is just loaded with bugs and anomalies in this regard. I fight with it all the time. It is quite frustrating. MM doesn't seem to listen to its customers on this, as far as I can tell. Many bugs have not been fixed for years and new ones get introduced with each new version. I have not upgraded to F2014 because of bugs in the playback of layers doesn't work properly and this is critical to my needs. I have tried the other products on the market and the playback, warts and all in Finale is better for my purposes. It is still quite frustrating and I'm pretty much an expert with it. I wish that MM would clean up its act.

/end rant!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    A software question:

I am currently scoring a musical named "The Red River Bar and Mortuary." I want to use the washboard listed under "Folk" in Garritan World. However, when I select it, an instrument named Guiro appears instead, which could certainly be substituted for a washboard, but it won't play.

Any suggestions?

Tom

Caher,

Thank you! I tried your suggestion and it worked perfectly. I am going to try the same procedure on a couple of other instruments that don't appear to exist either. Maybe there really is a Wagnarian tuba somewhere.

I seem to have extremely bad luck getting the percussion in Finale to work as they are supposed to.

Caher: "I just checked this out and got the same results as Tom.

If you load a blank staff with bass clef, manually assign it to Aria and manually load the washboard sample set, it will then play properly. You may want to make a regular percussion staff for printing and hide the one that sounds."

Go Back to forum