• Register
  • Help

Topic: Rogue instrument keeps assigning itself to a channel?

Share/Bookmark

Rogue instrument keeps assigning itself to a channel?

Today I found that a particular patch which I had loaded kept somehow assigning itself to different midi channels slots. It was a drum patch and over a few hour period it must have been assigned to about five different slots.

When this happened it replaced whatever had been in the channel previously, but also did something wierder.

The first time I noticed it, I figured - \'oh, Cubase has sent some odd program change which has caused the drums to be loaded into the harp channel - I\'ll just click on the harp channel and double click on the harp in the loaded instruments pane...\'

No such luck.

Gigastudio appeared to do the load, but after that brief exchange I was presented with the drums again!

So I tried to drag the harp onto the channel.
    Same result - it came up as the drums.

I tried detaching the drums first - no joy.

The only way I could get the harp back was to unload the harp from memory, navigate to its location on the hard disk and load it again. Then everything went back to normal.

As I said, this happened several times, always with the drum patch replacing something else.

At one stage it even happened in the editor.

Anyone else have this happen???

Re: Rogue instrument keeps assigning itself to a channel?

Yeah Chadwick, I had that happened to me many times in Gigasampler. I haven\'t found a way to prevent it and it seems to happen when it feels like it. Sometimes I can go for weeks with it not occuring and other times it just pops up. It\'s weird but I have learned to ignore it. Peace.

Ditto to Nazaru...this bug drives me crazy ..just when I\'m about to call nemesys IT stops....nice to know I\'m not crazy....there certain older files of mine that giga really hates....sometimes helps to re boot...then create a new Gsp file....

I have also experienced this lately. Any solutions yet?

Yeah, this has happened to me too. Interestingly, with my drum patch. Other instruments have not done this. Only my drums.

Ron

I have had this happen with non-drum instruments. It is unpredictable when it will happen and aggravating.

Well, here is the workaround might solves this problem:
    About Drum-set and other samples PATH:
    Normally, when you get the drum-sets from someone, by default they would set the intial path as \"0\" (zero) and the bank# as 1 if not you need to change its bank to 1 (not \"0\"), so by avoiding the giga-program won\'t mess-up other sounds you probably need to modify your sequencer-tracks to \"0\" (to match the samples set as \"0\", see gigastudio at \"load instrument\"). Of course when in certain tracks that you want the drum-kit, you should set its bank to \"1\". I see most of our current-MIDI-Seq might default to \"NONE\" for example, and when you have grandpiano or violin long smooth, the bug in Giga would chooses the drum set as a hi-priority list (same path# \"0\").
    In case when you want to start your MIDI-seq without changing or updating your paths, you could simply disable it as well. For example, in the cakewalk/logic/cubase, check project-option, MIDI-Out option.
    Hope this helps

Thanks LHong, but my problem is completely independent of programme or bank changes. I don\'t use them at all, and I have them filtered in the sequencer just in case I push a button by mistake.

Go Back to forum