• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bigga Orchestral Brass

Share/Bookmark

Bigga Orchestral Brass

Hi everyone.

I was wondering what your opinions are of BOB sample set. I\'m looking into getting a new brass library and the Quantum Leap Brass is a little out of my price range. (Unless they have a lite version!)

Anyway, I was wondering what people thought of it and if anyone had demos using BOB. Thanks.

Jonny

Re: Bigga Orchestral Brass

I just purchased the full BOB, and haven\'t gotten through all of the files yet. However, I can offer these few thoughts:

1) There are some samples that I listen to (in the middle of a chromatic run-through) where I\'m wondering how they made the cut. I\'ve played trombone, tuba, and euphonium professionally, and there are notes in BOB that I would have been embarrassed to allow onto tape. That being said, it\'s relatively easy to take the sample above it and map to that note, so the offending attack or unstable sustain does not become a distraction.

2) Many of the things that someone would expect to be part and parcel of a standard patch (such as vibrato controlled by mod wheel controller 1, etc.) are simply not there. I *actually like* the absence of such items, as many implementations of vibrato and dynamic changes in timbre are simply not convincing. I have a saying, \"Friends don’t let friends play factory presets.\" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

3) The key switching is relatively limited, out of the box. In order to get the requisite level of articulation control, I\'m going to need to do some serious programming. Anyone else who wishes to make full use of the library is going to be up for the same kind of work.

4) Some of the default amplitude envelopes take too long to decay, leading to some overlap that gives away keyboard control. I prefer to use a breath controller to bias the amplitude, and use velocity to control timbre, at least in part. So again, your mileage may vary on this.

5) I was a little miffed at the range of the trombone, as it dropped off at the standard range. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I\'m accustomed to a Bach 42B with an F attachment, where I can really reach for the bottom (including pedal tones). Again, this is a personal preference, but I was also finding some notes \"missing\" from the high end of the trumpet and french horn multisamples, again - my expectation. I believe that they have covered the \"typical\" range. If you have a part that requires an extreme part of the range, plan on either \"extending\" what is mapped by default, or check into a larger (much more expensive) library. Anyone who has ever played the alto trombone part for \"Bolero\" will know precisely what I\'m talking about. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

So, when I did some very minor tweaking (and re-arrangement of parts to avoid certain notes at certain velocity levels), I got a truly stunning sound. I\'ve never worked with a large brass sample set before, so I\'m not a good person for comparison-shopping. I\'m *looking forward* to the tweaking to get what I want from these samples. It\'s an impressive pallet, and has given me options and ideas that I haven\'t been able to consider up to this point. That\'s the true benchmark for me...

My assessment is that you get much more than you pay for, but get ready to do some programming work to get full value out of what is offered.

Thanks for the very useful information all. Houston Haynes, perhaps you could share your art files...

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Jonathon Cox:
    Hi everyone.

I was wondering what your opinions are of BOB sample set. I\'m looking into getting a new brass library and the Quantum Leap Brass is a little out of my price range. (Unless they have a lite version!)

Anyway, I was wondering what people thought of it and if anyone had demos using BOB. Thanks.

Jonny
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Jonny,

If you do a search, you should be able to find a review I did here of BOB. In short, you would not be making a bad investment.

Bottom line is this: NO brass library will ever boast every sound you need for any setting, because there are just not enough CDs in the universe to hold that--and even if there were, you\'d never get through it.

BOB\'s well recorded, nice warm sound, good value for the money. I use everything from BOG to Miroslav to Quantum Leap to AO to Dan Dean to \"play my own\" when it comes to brass, and they\'re all good for something. Dan Dean SB is very strong overall, and deeply multisampled all the way around. And you get Vizzutti, no explaining necessary there!! Mostly legit articulations, but aggressive enough to cross some stylistic boundaries for sure. Quantum Leap has an excellent variety of great sounds and a grab bag of stylistic variants--not just orchestral. There\'s all kinds of growling, doits, falls, shakes--that kind of thing, as well as some saxes, a nice bonus. I like the \"cop show\" cup muted trumpets, and use those live with my wind controller all the time. BOB is really structured much more like Dan Dean, only fewer layers and the trumpet player ain\'t Vizzutti--but still a great sound for the $$. That one\'s strictly legit/orchestral. Miroslav and AO are both considerably older, recorded well but fewer layers and chromatic samples. Strictly legit/orchestral there, too, except AO does feature, of all things, harmon muted trumpets which rarely appear in orchestras. They\'re great for jazz, so that\'s a nice not-too-well-known tip. Despite their Akai roots, people still get some good use out of them, but they are certainly not as deeply sampled as today\'s Giga-centric libraries allow. Still, sometimes that\'s the sound.

Take it for what it\'s worth, hopefully there\'s at least something there to help ease or complicate your choice. I have never heard a sample library I don\'t like in some way--I find that most are useful in the right situation and that most are priced pretty close to their value. Just don\'t fall into the delusion that \"one\" of anything is going to cover every situation, because that\'s just impossible. You can only hope to make good buying decisions that best match a library to the work at hand, and expand outward as needed. Good luck.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:

My assessment is that you get much more than you pay for, but get ready to do some programming work to get full value out of what is offered.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Houston

I\'m glad that you came to that conclusion! As you say, you are a pro player, and in comperising with the \"real thing\", sampled instruments are just \"sampled\", a copy of the original.

We would be very interested to hear the improvment you\'ve made to BoB, and we would, if it\'s ok with you, post them for downloading from our homepage.

Originally posted by Jonathon Cox:
    Hi everyone.

Jonny
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hello Jonny,

If you buy BoB, you will get exactly what you paid for. It\'s well recorded, I like the p and mf samples, the tone is rich and beautiful, but I don\'t care for the tone of the louder samples.

I didn\'t find a notable difference between some of the keyswitched articulations. The stuccato\'s when layered stick out like sore thumbs.

The long sampled notes are just that, long, making them useable for slow to moderate tempo\'s. I tried to use them in a fast passage and they dragged. Some portamento would have been nice.

They have a uniform moderate attack which seems to be consistent throughout in all the instruments. This was a good first choice for a low budget sample, but it does make legato phrasing impossible, and the fact that the stuccato\'s don\'t layer very well with them means you can\'t make any hard attacks.

I bought the BoB set for the tone and it\'s ability to blend. I\'m satisfied with what I got..., for the money. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That\'s my 2 cents worth, good luck.

Go Back to forum